Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Emma was tempted to find some good, strong rope and tie Lukas down to a chair. Ever since he’d been able to leave the bed, he’d been walking all over the place, and every time he moved, Emma was sure that he was hurting. Lukas had assured her that he was fine and that wolves had a faster rate of healing than humans, but when Sophia and Jason were also telling him to rest, Emma found it hard to believe him.

 In an attempt to put her at ease about his condition, Lukas reminded her that everyone had been surprised he had survived two silver bullets, trying to use that as proof that he was even tougher than the average wolf. But Emma asked Jason about that, who informed her that Lukas was silver resistant.

 “Would you sit down?” Emma said, wincing as he stood up. “What do you want? I’ll get it for you.”

 “I’m fine,” Lukas said. When she took his hand and pulled him back to the chair, he gave in, if only to make his mate happy. “Could you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich please?”

 “Oh, so now you’re making me make you a sandwich?” Although trying to pretend she was angry, Emma couldn’t keep a straight face and started laughing.

 She went to the kitchen and came back a few minutes later with the sandwich and a napkin, which she gave to him.

 “Extra peanut butter,” Lukas said with a smile, noticing she had put on an excess of peanut butter.

 “Blueberry jelly too,” she said. “I’ve seen how you make them. And knowing you’re a dog, the peanut butter thing makes so much more sense now.”

 “I’m not a dog!”

 “You never should have told me you were a werewolf,” Emma said, grinning. “There are just way too many good jokes I can make.”

 “You’re right. I shouldn’t have told you. Then when our hypothetical puppies turned into wolves, the look on your face would have been priceless.” Ever since Emma had mentioned having hypothetical children, they had been popping up in conversation quite often, although Lukas always referred to them as puppies rather than children.

 Emma smiled, but she also had more serious things to discuss with Lukas. She waited for him to finish eating, wanting to have his full attention.

 “So, that cop,” she said. “Beth gave me his name and contact information.”

 “Awesome,” Lukas said.

 “Um, what exactly are you going to do? You’re not going to hurt him, are you?”

 “Of course not. Honestly, I haven’t really thought about it too much, but I thought maybe I could call him and meet with him? Maybe I can convince him to delete the video and forget he ever saw anything. How’s Beth doing, by the way?”

“She’s still a little freaked out about the werewolf thing, but I think she’s getting used to the idea. Actually, I think she’s more freaked out because she thinks you’re mad at her for the whole cop taking a video thing.”

 “I’m not. Well, it’s a bit irritating, sure. And she sure as hell had a stupid reason to be watching us in the first place.”

 “I know. But I guess you don’t come off as very friendly to everyone. Still, I can’t believe she thought you were hurting me.”

 “At least she was trying to look out for you. I can’t fault her for that. So, what’s this cop’s number? Might as well get this over with.”