04 | wreck

0 4

w r e c k

WAKING UP TO sore limbs and a racing heart the next morning wasn't the best feeling in the world. It took awhile for me to make sense of the lush blue curtains instead of the faded cream ones I was used to seeing, but then I remembered that I was in a different place altogether.

Jed's house.

That was – bizarre. I didn't even know he existed two days ago and now that man, with his green eyes and mysterious behaviour was all I could think of.

Shaking my head at the thought, I dragged myself out of bed and went to freshen up. Making my way downstairs after that was a matter of confusion. Jed was there to lead the way last night, but I realised today that there were many twists and turns, many empty rooms and empty hallways.

After taking several wrong turns, I finally found my way to the kitchen, only to freeze in my steps when I saw Jed standing there, with his elbows braced on the counter and his hands wrapped around a mug, with the coffee-pot on his left and various documents laid out in front of him. It was a cold morning so I wasn't surprised to see him in a grey sweater with the hood pulled up over his head.

He glanced up immediately, setting his cup down when he saw me. And as he straightened, I belatedly realised that he'd had the zip of his sweater undone, black sweatpants riding low on his hips. And he wasn't wearing a shirt on underneath, the smooth planes of his tanned chest and the muscle lines stretched taut across his abdomen visible even under the dim lighting in the kitchen.

In a different situation, this would've been one hell of a good morning.

"Hi," I said, willing myself not to blush under the heat of his gaze.

He stared at me warily, then pushed aside the files and papers.

"So, um, this is yours," I said instead, setting his jacket and iPod on top of the counter, before pushing it across to him. "I'd have the jacket washed if I knew where the laundry room was or if I was back home and actually able to do the laundry but – well..."

My words faded when he took the jacket and iPod. Then he pushed away from the counter and crossed the kitchen.

"Still not going to talk to me, huh?" I asked wryly when he turned back around with another cup in his hands, picking up the coffee-pot and filling it to the brim. "Shame. And I had plenty of questions I need answers to, but I guess – oh," I stopped in surprise, my eyes widening when he pushed the cup into my hands. The expression on his face was indecipherable when I looked up, but I smiled brightly at him anyway. "Thank you."

He stared blankly at me for a second before looking away, reaching out to gather his files in one hand, the jacket and iPod in the other. He was halfway out of the kitchen before I could even blink and, flustered by his sudden departure, I didn't think twice.

"Wait," I blurted, and he paused, his head turning slightly but not quite looking at me. The silence spanned for a moment or two, and I found myself stumped for words. Because what could I say – don't leave, because it's lonely in here? That was how things felt at the moment, but I hardly knew Jed well enough to say that.

Fortunately, the unexpected ringing of the doorbell relieved the awkward tension between us. Jed strode across the hall to open the door. Adrian stepped in, along with two other men.

"Alpha," Adrian greeted, before turning to me. "Luna."

I frowned for a moment, then smiled. "Hi," my greeting was meant for all three of them, but only Adrian grinned. The other two simply lowered their heads in brief acknowledgement.