Digital Abuse

Digital abuse is the use of technologies such as texting and social networking to bully, harass, stalk or intimidate a partner. Often this behavior is a form of verbal or emotional abuse perpetrated online. You may be experiencing digital abuse if your partner:

 Tells you who you can or can't be friends with on Facebook and other social networking sites.

 Sends you negative, insulting or even threatening emails, Facebook messages, tweets, DMs or other messages online.

 Uses sites like Facebook, Twitter, foursquare and others to keep constant tabs on you.

 Puts you down in their status updates.

 Sends you unwanted, explicit pictures and demands you send some in return.

 Pressures you to send explicit video.

 Steals or insists to be given your passwords.

 Constantly texts you and makes you feel like you can't be separated from your phone for fear that you will be punished.

 Looks through your phone frequently, checks up on your pictures, texts and outgoing calls.

 Tags you unkindly in pictures on Instagram, Tumblr, etc.

You never deserve to be mistreated, online or off. Remember:

 Your partner should respect your relationship boundaries.

 It is ok to turn off your phone. You have the right to be alone and spend time with friends and family without your partner getting jealous, upset or angry.

 You do not have to text any pictures or statements that you are uncomfortable sending, especially nude or partially nude photos, known as sexting.

 You lose control of any electronic message once your partner receives it.

 They may forward it, so don't send anything you fear could be seen by others.

 You do not have to share your passwords with anyone.

 Know your privacy settings. Social networks such as Facebook allow the user to control how their information is shared and who has access to it. These are often customizable and are found in the privacy section of the site. Remember, registering for some applications (apps) require you to change your privacy settings.

 Be mindful when using check-ins like Facebook Places and foursquare. Letting an abusive partner know where you are could be dangerous. Also, always ask your friends if it's ok for you to check them in. You never know if they are trying to keep their location secret.

 You have the right to feel comfortable and safe in your relationship, even online.

Do you have any tips for anyone going through or recovering from digital abuse?

If you find this leaflet helpful, don't forget to vote or comment... AS xoxo