Chapter6 The Unexpected Guest

___Nevaeh's POV___

It's been five days since Aunt Iris gave me the news. I even got my braces removed (not that they would've stayed on if I weren't making a stage appearance), it feels a bit different without them but it's fine. I intended on writing the welcome speech on my own but she insisted that she should write it on my behalf. Well, like I would object on that.

She'd probably include some Shakespearan quotes in that. I've been reading Shakespear since I was twelve. And let me tell you that dude's got some style. Well, I certainly feel like Mia from 'The Princess Diaries' (which without a doubt, Sophie made me watch) everyday after school I would practice on my stuttering. But since I have a 'unique kind of stammer' which flourishes out in the open only when I'm nervous or in front of intimidating, unfamiliar people.

So, practicing at home was backfiring since I had Drake, Sophie, sometimes dad and Aunt Iris for the audience. But natural, my speech is perfect in front of them, since they're practically family. After a whole day of disguising themselves as weird unfamiliar people and after me recognising them as 'them', we finally kidnapped some neighbours (not really) to come and listen to my speech so I could practice with some unknown audience.

And what happened was not good.

I barely made it out of the greeting and my stutter was there. Aunt Iris would scold me for looking at the floor and fidgeting with my fingers or the hem of my shirt. The speech was by-heart but the problem was delivering it to the WHOLE school. Not to forget the curses from our lovely neighbours for wasting their time at my house.

The same continued the next day and the next, Drake and Sophie would beg/pull different unknown people into the house with Aunt Iris serving them hot chocolate (I swear that's what bribed them on coming) and I would TRY to speak like a normal human in front of them. 'Try' being the highlighter word here.

But my stammer was worsening with so many people barking orders at me from directions and with the responsibility of speaking in front of the mayor and hundreds of other people.

It made me anxious and all sweaty. They would make me practice walking like a lady, for my entry up and down the stage (trust me on this, I'm NOT kidding, hence the 'Princess' reference) so I don't trip on my own two feet and end up dying a very embaressing death in front of my fellow peers.

I didn't progress much, but the graph (walking conquest) was steadying better than my speech. Never before had anyone tried to imrpove my auditory skills and my tomboy-ish walk but now that we're trying, I do see a little hope somewhere. I wouldn't want our school's and especially Aunt Iris' reputation to degrade due to me. I won't talk about MY repo here because that's just sad...a touchy topic ya' know.

School would go just like it did everyday except that I was more exhausted and dehydrated due to my rehearsal sessions everyday. Nobody knew that 'I' was chosen for the introductory speech on the Annual Function, I wanted it to be confidential as well, since you never know what these crazy teenagers will do. (Why do I always sound like an old brat saying this?)

I had seen the scowls and extremely disappointed looks on the faces of those who wished to be on stage where I'm going to be but aunt had rejected them. I don't want to get myself murdered if they come to know it was ME who snatched this 'opportunity' from them.

If I'd been given the chance, I would wear coconuts and leaves to school and sing out loud 'Anybody wants to be the speaker for the Annual Function? The position is FRRREEEE!!'

Sadly I can't do that.

Now when I think about it, I guess it was unfair of aunt to select me since, one, I'm her niece, two I'm not good at public speaking.