2

Ishi liked living with the Akatsuki. It was refreshing in a sense, at least it was to her. They were different, and Ishi liked different. It made her feel like she wasn't so weird.

She was a bit intimidated by them though. They were so strong, and even though they respected Deidara enough, they didn't exactly enjoy having Ishi around. To them she was just a kid. A usless, weak kid. Deidara helped her train sometimes, when he wasn't busy with missions. He only let her train lightly, to make sure that she wouldn't hurt herself, but he did show her a bit of his art. Ishi was born with the same mouths on her hands as her brother, and though she admired the way her brother used the mouths, she hated the way she did. The kids in Iwa called it weird, unnatural. Maybe they were right, but it still hurt Ishi.

Ishi sat on Deidara's bed, bored out of her mind. Her brother was on a mission, one that he had told her would take a week or two. She would talk to the other members, but they didn't really like her. The only other member that seemed okay with her was Konan, who didn't talk to Ishi, but didn't outright say that she was nothing but an inconvenience. Ishi tried not to let it bother her, but it was hard, especially when practically everyone in her new home hated her.

Ishi sighed, grabbing the clay that she used to train and making shapes. She'd never detonate the clay, and even if she did, it would only cause a small explosion that would barely do any damage, but Ishi enjoyed making things with clay. She often imitated Deidara, making the same shapes that he made, and copying his techniques.

Ishi stayed quiet, making clay spiders, and birds. Her clay creations would move, and some would say that they came to life, but Ishi didn't really believe that. She didn't understand the science behind the clay, she just knew it worked.

She didn't know how long she'd spent playing with clay, but at some point Ishi had fallen asleep, and when she woke up Deidara was next to her, looking at the clay spiders she had made. Ishi sat up, rubbing her eyes tiredly, "Dei, why didn't you wake me up when you got here, un?" Ishi looked up at her brother, her bright blue eyes meeting his.

Deidara put on a smile as he ruffled his sister's hair lightly, "I didn't want to wake you." He said simply. Though that was true, and Deidara did want to let his younger sister sleep longer, it wasn't the whole truth. Deidara had been reckless on the mission and had gotten injured, so when he got back to the base with Sasori and found Ishi asleep, Deidara took the opportunity and made himself look presentable, so that Ishi wouldn't get scared or worried. It was the first time Deidara had considered that he could die on a mission, that he could die and leave Ishi alone. It troubled Deidara, but he'd never let his innocent sister know.

"The spiders you made were really good, un." Deidara told Ishi, just wanting to see her smile. He wasn't very good when it came to small things, like complimenting his younger sister, but he tried his best to make her happy.

Ishi couldn't help but smile at her brother's words, "Really?" She smiled widely, loving her brother's approval. Deidara simply nodded, smiling down at Ishi. "Un! Some day, I'll be a great artist like you, Dei!"  Ishi declared enthusiastically, smiling infectiously.
Deidara smiled faintly.

"I know you will."

///

Night had fallen, and Ishi was asleep, hugging herself lightly as she curled herself into a small ball. Deidara was next to her, laying down and thinking. All he could think about was the mission, and how he could die anytime; maybe on the next mission, or the one after that. Who would take care of Ishi if he wasn't around? The Akatsuki would send her back to Iwa, or leave her on the streets to starve if they were feeling generous, if they weren't, then they'd probably kill her, and Deidara really didn't want to think about his young sister dying.

He couldn't stop thinking about how dangerous it was for her to be staying with him. He loved her, and he wanted her to stay with him, but he also wanted her to be happy, to have friends and enjoy herself. He knew it wasn't safe for her to be staying with him— they were living with criminals— but he could help but want her to be with him. He was being selfish, and he knew that, but he just wanted Ishi to be happy and safe.

That night, with the moon shining above him, Deidara made a decision that would impact him and Ishi forever. He was going to send her somewhere, anywhere, so that Ishi could be safe and happy, and he was going to do soon. He didn't have a date planned, but he couldn't let her stay with him, not if she was going to be in danger, or left alone with criminals. He made a promise to her after all, and he planned to keep it.

"I promise, I'll protect you."