Chapter 9

Prince James was a very handsome man, standing about a foot taller than me, his chocolate brown eyes delved into your soul. With dark brown hair that complimented his tan skin tone, he was a pure gem. I walked over to him and gave him a small smile, "Hey, I'm Elizabeth, but you can call me Eliza." Prince James bowed and grabbed my hand in his, kissing it sweetly, "You're very beautiful Elizabeth, you can just call me James." I blushed and murmured a quiet, "Thanks." I stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to say.

I shifted uncomfortably and my father appeared in the archway. "Eliza dear, why don't you invite the prince inside?" I blushed and gestured toward the door, "This way." We ventured into the throne room, and we all took a seat. I casually glanced at my dad and tried to signal I need help on what to say. He shook his head and looked at James. "So James, how was the trip over here? Not too bad I hope." James shrugged casually, "It wasn't bad, but it was quite long and made me weary from such a long travel. We also were attacked by bandits on the way here." I gasped loudly, and James locked his eyes to mine. "What did you do?"

James grinned at me, "I've been having swordsmanship lessons, and I fought them off." My dad laughed heartily, "Please, tell us more! I'm intrigued." James cleared his throat before speaking, "Well, there I was, surrounded and..." My mind wandered off and his words just faded away. I wonder what Alec's doing right now, I wonder if he's thinking about me. I smiled at the thought and I was interrupted when my dad threw his arm around me. "Lookie here, even Elizabeth enjoyed the story!" Oh, he thought my smile was about the story.."Yeah, it was quite fascinating!" I said with fake enthusiasm.

We talked for awhile longer and before I knew it, it was dusk. "Well, it's time for dinner, I've had the cooks prepare a feast to celebrate your arrival." My father got up and headed toward the door. "I'm going to go make sure everything's prepared, both of you please join me when you're ready. James and I nodded, and my father slipped out the door. I was looking at the ground when I saw a hand appear in front of my face, I looked up and saw the prince smiling at me while offering his hand. I took it and he pulled me up. "Are you ready?" I nodded slowly, and he offered me his arm, which I hesitantly took. We walked off, heading toward the dining room. I wondered what would await me at dinner.

When we walked in, my dad was sitting at the head of the table. Bill was next to him, and Alec was beside his dad. I saw Alec look at me when I entered, and his eyes fell upon my arm resting on James's. Alec's face fell, and he looked away from me. I took the seat next to my dad, opposite from Bill, and James sat next to me. The dinner was relatively quiet, besides Bill, my dad, and James talking about different things. Throughout dinner, I saw Alec glaring daggers at James. I made eye contact with him, and tried to give him a sorry expression. Alec just shook his head, and continued eating his food quietly.

My father spoke loudly, startling me. "I almost forgot! James, this is Bill, the captain of our guard," He gestured towards Bill, and he did a small bow. Gesturing to Alec he said, "This is Alec, Bill's son and the soon to be captain of the guard." Alec didn't say anything , just kind of half smiled, before letting it drop. Bill noticed Alec's attitude and I saw him bump his shoulder. "So Elizabeth, please tell me about yourself." I looked to see who spoke and saw it was James. "Well.. I'm shy, not exactly social, my nurse maid raised me most of my life and I've had a lot of weight thrown onto my shoulders ever since I came here." My father eyed me warily. James simply nodded and nothing else was said for the rest of dinner.

As soon as everyone was finished eating, I excused myself and rushed out the door. I waited outside the door, and when Alec came out I grabbed his wrist and pulled him into the nearest closet. Alec attempted to side-step me but I quickly moved in front of the door so he couldn't leave. "We need to talk." He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "Elizabeth, let me leave now." I shook my head, "Not until we talk about what's going on." Alec glared at me, "I know exactly what's going on, you love him!" I laughed, "No, I don't. I don't even know him."