Chapter 14: The Quenswer

Yes, I know that is a stupid title. It's a cross between 'question' and 'answer'. Okay, so now I'm totally freaking out. I don't know why. I have been planning this for a month now. Olive Garden was totally okay with it. Aunt Jenn and Aunt Josie were totally okay with it. Yes, they knew before Lily told them. But they didn't know who I was asking, so their surprise and happiness was real. Eli helped a little, too, as did Avie. She helped me pick the specifics, like the flavours and colours and such. So after the dinner portion, Lily ordered the 'Gelato, Noble, special.' I did, too, but mine is just a help to hers. Besides, we do get to eat it in the end. There's not very many dishes.

"So, Lily," I said. "What kinds of things do you enjoy?"

"Well," she said, "I enjoy music, art, English, and photography." I nodded my head, knowing all of those things.

"Oh look, our dessert's here," she said with a grin. I smiled, too, hoping she'll enjoy it. She stared at the gelato with a strange look on her face. I had picked pink gelato, and each bowl had a word or two on it in white gelato.

It said, "Will you join me at the dance?"

She glanced up at me. I smiled a half-smile, not sure if this was okay. She stood up and walked over to me. Sure she was gonna smack me, my smiled dropped and my head hung. She handed me the bowl that had the "yes" answer in it.

I looked up at her and she grinned and said, "Of course I'll go with you. I thought you'd never ask."

I was relieved, to say the least. The gelato was delicious, by the way. And then at lunch on Monday, Eli asked Danielle Eddy to the dance and she said yes. It was super cute, and then right after she said yes, James asked Avie and she said yes. Jacob had already asked someone else over the weekend. Avie and Lily were giggling and chatting about their dresses. I couldn't wait until Saturday.