Alfred's realization

A/N: I decided to have Lily and Alfred go on a small date. It will only be in the beginning of the chapter though so don't worry about it becoming a big part of the story. Nothing to sweet happens.
________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 16

Alfred's realization

~Alfred and Arthur~

After Arthur's heat Alfred went to make sure that he was alright. An omegas first heat was extremely dangerous without an alpha or a familiar alphas sent. Unfortunately he wasn't close enough to Arthur so he couldn't give him something with his sent on it.

He knocked on the door extremely hard, almost putting a hole in it. Luckily Lily opened it before he could.

"Hello?" She asked timidly.

"Oh hey, I heard Arthur was done with his heat."

"He is but he's resting right now. He needs some time to recover." She said as she closed the door behind her.

"Ok, so are you busy or tired? I know it's late." Alfred asked. He knew that he was supposed to be on a mission but Gilbert was right. He needed to move on. Lily seemed really sweet and she was pretty cute.

Lily blushed and shook her head. "I'm free right now and I'm not tired at all."

"Then would you mind coming with me to watch the stars?"

"I'd love to."

They went onto the deck and sat on a crate. They sat in silence for a while before Alfred began to talk about the stars. Lily loved learning about them but she found it rather boring.

"Excuse me but I have to go check on Arthur." She politely said.

But Alfred got the hint. He could tell that she was getting bored. "You don't have to lie you know. I understand if you aren't attracted to me."

"I'm sorry." She apologized.

"It's fine. I figured that it wouldn't work out but it never hurts to try." Alfred said.

"We could try again. This was just our first attempt."

Alfred shook his head no. "Unfortunately I don't feel a connection with you. I'm sorry." Alfred apologized. He knew that he was being rather blunt but that was the best way to keep someone from having their hopes up.

"You sound as if you've been in love before." Lily said.

"I have."

"What happened? Why aren't you with them?" She asked.

"He died."

There was a sad silence after that. What do you say to that?

"I'm sorry for your loss."

"Me too." Alfred said as he walked away.
________________________________________________________________________

~The next day~

Alfred was in the kitchen with Francis cooking up a big meal. Today they were going to reach Diamonds and to celebrate the crews good work and smooth sailing.

"Lily told me about your date last night." Francis spoke up.

"She did?"

"Oui, she told me how straight forward you were." Francis said putting bacon in the pan.

"I was. Hope you're not mad."

"I'm not. I'm actually glad you did. She's a sweet girl who I think of as a sister. I don't want her heart broken when you would have broken up with her."