Chapter 1

"CJ! How far are you with the new order? It's a big one and its not something we can afford to mess up" Dave sighs walking into the work room, he noticed all the explosives out and sighed in exasperation. He knew that she had almost finished all of the designs fir the fireworks he needed but they still needed to test them and he didn't trust any of the new workers with the explosives just yet and she was the best pyrotechnics they had.
Her brown red hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail and soot was smeared across her face in her attempts to wipe her face. She had been working with him for 6 years now and had only continued to amaze him with the designs she drew. She was so wrapped up in her work that she didn't hear him question her.
"CJ!" He snapped touching her shoulder, she shrunk away from his touch not accustomed to dealing with people.
"What?" She watched him, her eyebrows knitted together in annoyance. She knew Dave well but his impatience only reminded her why she didn't date. Men never seemed to understand her love for explosives, she thought they were beautiful and the chemicals made them so raw and easy to understand. She moved from her home town in Columbia to get away and focus on her love of explosives she wasn't interested in dating or dealing with people who couldn't understand her love.
"Let's go test these before tomorrow, we have to make sure they're perfect. Not that I doubt your work" he winks at her, Dave was an older man in his late 60's. She didn't dislike him but she chose to work alone more often than not and he didn't argue.
She laughed slightly before gathering the fireworks together and hauling them outside to test them, she didn't know much about new species but she was worried about the noise. She heard that they had super hearing and she worried that the noise would bother them, she managed to make a batch of explosives that weren't as loud as normal ones were. It took forever to figure out the right chemical mixture but she managed, the colors weren't as bright either for fear of hurting their eyes but they made pretty patterns that she was sure they would love.
"How the hell did you manage to make them quieter?" Dave turns to her and looks at her in awe, she laughs at his expression and explains the chemical balance that can cancel out the loud Boom. He looked amazed, "do you know how much money we can get for this, I swear your a genius" he shakes his head in disbelief.
"It's not about the money" the whispered watching the fireworks go off, a small smile on her face.
"Yeah I know kid" he lays a heavy hand on her shoulder making her flinch and try to ease away from him without him noticing.
After they finished she went back into the work room making small sparklers for the New Species, she had respect for them and wanted to do what she could to make them happy. It might not have been much but she enjoyed making people happy, she had to admit the Species men were handsome but she was more focused on her job than her love life.
She made the sparklers long and sturdy will colored powder that made the lights they give off dark colors of blue, green, purple, orange, and red. After finishing the sparklers and the final versions of the fireworks she headed home.