Chapter 33 Part 2

Lissa

I kept my eyes on Morgan, forgetting all about John until his voice bellowed through the quiet. "You were right, Maxwell. They are amazing. They'll make wonderful additions to my army."

I turned my attention to Max. "Max, what's he talking about?"

He ignored me and continued glaring back at his former employer. "Leave them out of this, John."

A sadistic laughter rumbled from John's chest. "Need I remind you that you are the only reason they are involved? They would still be living mundane lives, mostly oblivious to the true dangers of our world."

I tried to move toward Max, but Josh refused to move out of my way. "Max, what's he talking about."

John glanced between us. "Go on, Maxwell. Tell her."

"He's playing with your heads. Don't listen to him," Max said, in a flat voice.

I turned to Max in time to see him pull a gun from his waistband and aim it at Josh. I stared at him in horror. "Max, what are you doing?"

Keeping the gun aimed at Josh he looked up and met my stare. "Taking back what's mine."

The next sound I heard was the loud pop of the gun firing, followed by the whistle of the bullet as it flew straight for Josh's heart.

To be continued...