Never Let Go

NEVER LET GO

Jerome coughs, blood dribbling from the corner of his mouth. He stumbles into a sitting position, leaning against a tree. One hand grips his stomach where a few arrows were lodged. His breathing is ragged and heavy.

"Well, that was unexpected." Mitch said, turning to look at Jerome. His eyes widen when he spots his boyfriend. "Jerome!"

The bacca gives a weak smile. “Hey…biggums…”

Mitch hurries to his side, close to tears. “Oh my god, Jerome!”

"N-no worries…I’ll respawn…"

"What if you don’t? Jerome, I can’t live without you!" Mitch is sobbing now, hugging Jerome to his chest. "Please don’t die on me, Jerome."

Jerome looks up to Mitch, that faint smile on his face having not faltered once. He speaks three words before going limp and despawning.

"I’ll find you…"

Mitch’s sobs deepen and he stays rooted to the spot where his Jerome had just died. It took hours after his friends found him to get him away from that place in the woods.

Several days later, Mitch was spending another sleepless night without Jerome. He held Jerome’s pillow close to him, eyes red and cheeks stained with tears. He didn’t move an inch when someone knocked on the front door, figuring it was probably just a friend dropping by to comfort him for the millionth time.

However, Mitch’s heart skipped a beat when the person spoke.

"Hey biggums, I’m back!"

Mitch had never ran faster in his life, throwing the front door open and launching himself into Jerome’s arms.

"I was starting to think you were gone for good."

Jerome rubbed a furry hand across Mitch’s back. “I told you I’d be back.”

Fresh tears trickled down Mitch’s face.

"I’m never letting you go ever again." Mitch stated.

And it was a promise kept.