To Kill A Vampire - prologue to chapter 2

Hello All! so this is my first publication on this place, I hope you all like it, please review and I shall release more in time :D

To kill a vampire

By Jamie-Lee Reed

Prologue

Ava Daniels back flipped on to the stone casket. The light of the full moon filled the area around her. Looking out of hazel brown eyes, she could see the miles of cemetery that surrounded them. The piles of earth, which had been ripped apart by the undead trying to roam the land, lay underneath the faded gravestones like innocent mole hills. Nobody would know that they had been the door between the underworld and our planet.

The church spire Climbed as high as the clouds, shadowed by the tall pine tree that grew behind it; yet in the distance the recently built white memoriam glistened like a piece of heaven.  Flowers were carefully placed on loved ones resting spots; she could even see the black coal gate that hung over the entrance to the graveyard. This scary, uncomfortable place, was so familiar to Ava now, it was like a second home. She took a moment of thought to look up at the stars and take in their beauty as they played their continuous games as children did, they were so meaningless but they meant so much to Ava, another world she could always escape to, a place that would take her away from all of this drama, the drama she knew nothing about only 6 months ago.

Suddenly time seemed to slow down so seconds lasted for minutes. Ava’s golden hair was blowing furiously as the wind continued to howl. She looked to her left to see her best friend Crystal fighting the ocean blue harpy.

The harpy’s weren’t the best looking creatures, part bat, part women was never a good combination. Their mouths were snouts snarling and grinning to show the fang like nashers that spread against the jaw line. Their eyes were only two slits on the each side of their face but when fully opened a pit of darkness was all that could be seen. They had wide bony wings, which looked so weak they would tear at the slightest touch but when fully wrapped around the harpy’s body they acted like a sheet of steel. With claws as long as daggers and no record of there ever being a harpy attack before the trio thought them to be virtually invincible.

Crystal’s blood red hair was also blowing with the wind as if fighting with its self. Crystal kept throwing blows to harpy trying to do the most damage but its wings were around its face acting like armor.

             Crystals newly bought glovlets were torn to pieces as she scratched at the harpies cocoon like outer casing. Her hands were a painted glossy red with blood but still she carried on fighting.

            She jumped backwards to get a moments piece when suddenly the moonlight filled her chocolate brown eyes as a smug grin spread across her face. The harpy looked up. Crystal ripped open her leather waistcoat to reveal several small bottles. The harpy sank as it realized what the vials contained. She tried to fly away but crystal chucked them, two at a time towards the harpies back. When the glass would hit the harpy, boils seems to rise on the skin. When Ava had opened her eyes she saw the pile of stringy blue mess on the floor and Crystal smirking right next to it.

            Next Ava turned to her right to see her boyfriend Luke battling with the bogey green harpy. His once gorgeous curly blonde hair was now a stringy green thanks to the blood of the creature. He tried with all his might slashing at the monster but it just wouldn’t seem to die.  Crystal came running across the grass to try and help him but the harpy just knocked her to the floor. This made Luke mad.

“Nobody hurts my friends!” He screamed as he pushed the harpy backwards. The moon showed his crystal blue eyes flash red as he filled with anger. Seconds later he had pulled a small yet powerful handgun out of his backpack and the green harpy just lay there, two bullet holes paired together above the heart.