A Summer Dream

I can feel my skin tingling from the cool summery breeze, my hair flowing in a rhythmic motion to the wind. My eyes squint as I gaze at the beautiful sun setting on the horizon. I go down the shore and shriek in excitement as the waves hit my feet. All around me, people from different walks of life enjoy and frolic along on the sand. Children of all ages are building sandcastles and splashing around on the water.

I go deeper into the water, watching colourful fish swim past my legs. My whole body is now submerged into the salty sea water. I feel alive. I rise back up and my hair is completely wet. I feel refreshed. I close my eyes and dream of a place better than this. I can't. Not better than all this.

The beauty of it! So wonderful to the eye. I never want this moment to end. I see my friends from afar. They're calling me. "Let's play!" They say cheerfully. Excited, I run to them. I run as fast as my legs can carry me. But instead of getting nearer, I move farther away from them. They seem to be leaving. "Wait!" I shout but it's too late, they are out of my sight. Everything becomes a blur, gradually getting darker until all I see is darkness.

A sudden burst of light fills my vision - but it's still dark. I feel that I am sitting, my back hunched. I must have fallen asleep on the beach, how embarrassing. I hear neither sounds of wind nor the crash of the waves. Instead, I hear a voice calling my name. It's my friend! She's come to wake me up! I quickly sat up straight. I find myself in my classroom, my classmates snickering, disappointment masks the face of my teacher, and my friend is hiding her laughter. I mutter an apology and wish that I'd wake up from this nightmare.