Chapter 3

Adeline woke to sunlight streaming through a crack in the curtain onto her face. She was in her bed, the blankets neatly laid on top of her. A dream. She sighed and closed her eyes again. A dream. He isn't real Addy told herself.

She yawned and sat up, an ear piercing scream suddenly reached her ears and she pressed a soft pillow to her face. Adeline moved the covers and put her feet on the wooden floor, rubbing her eyes with her hands. A high pitched voice screeched at her from the hallway.

"Adeline! Come pick up your stupid blanket!" Addy groaned and walked to the door, pushing it open. She was met with a very pretty girl, about the same age as her, with huge blue eyes and curly blonde hair. The blanket that Addy had wrapped around her last night was being held away from the girl who was looking at it with disgust, "I tripped on it!"

"Thank you Penelope." Adeline snatched the blanket from the girls hand and closed the door on her face, rolling her eyes.

She looked at the blanket in her hands, the only reason it would be out there is if she dropped it on her way to bed. Or someone dropped it carrying her to bed... Addy wasn't sure what she was hoping it was.

There was a knock on her door and she turned and yanked it open once more, "what do you want Penel- oh." Her mouth shut instantly.

Mr. Jefferson crossed his arms, "Now then, I've just come to give you a present and you decide to act rudely to me."

Adeline's mouth opened and closed while she debated what to say, "...a present?"

"A going away present." He specified. So it wasn't a dream after all, at least, not that part.

"I'm sorry," she told him, "now, what is the present?" Her brown eyes looked up at him curiously.

"I'm taking you to the Opera... To watch Penelope perform." Addy's mind practically melted with those words.

"The opera." She smiled and sighed, this was her chance, "thank you!"

Jefferson scowled down at her, "oh don't get too excited, you don't even get a seat, you can watch from backstage."

"No, that's even better!" She suddenly wrapped her arms around him, too caught up in the moment. Two strong hands grasped her shoulders and pushed her away.

"Never do that again. Or I won't take you." Jefferson turned on his heel and slammed the door behind him. Adeline was still smiling as the handle clicked in place behind the man. She was determined to find out if she was just dreaming or not.

She was going to the opera.