Ruby

Pitch Black. Then I was running, ever so fast, across an unusual school football field and track. What was going on? I saw in front of me were bleachers full of confused students, It seems like there was a game going on. Then a huge group of football players, all in a place I didn't recognize. Then there was a flashing light. The next thing I knew, I started running faster. It felt as if I was running for my life. Lights flash one last time. I turn around, and realize I was running for my life. I suddenly remember. What have I done?

I'm standing in my room and staring outside my window. It's a bright sunny day, and I want to go to the beach later and relax. Summer vacation is almost here, and my grandma just gave me this new anklet with a crab on it. I'm okay with gifts from grandma and grandpa, but this is never like I've ever gotten before. It somehow suits me a lot more than those frilly dresses and the princess tiaras, or those generation-to-generation valuables...

After a day at the beach, I'm walking down the sidewalk back to my house. I notice a black van following me. At first I thought it was just a person looking for directions and driving so very slow. I started walking faster. The van followed me. Now I'm really suspicious. My heart is beating fast, and my pace quickens. Before I know it, I'm running down the street. The van drives faster and faster. I use all the shortcuts I know, (from my adventures as a kid) and pull off all the tricks I have, but no matter what I try, I can't lose them. At last, I run down into the park, and jump into a bush nearby. My wavy hair is all over my face, and my palms are sweaty. I haven't done anything that regards the police to track me down, What do these people want from me? I peek outside and see that the people have gotten out of the car. A chill runs down my spine. I feel my face go pale. Those teenagers. I recognize them. Why are they part of the police? This isn't how I imagined. I count them, a total of 6. This is very, very bad. I'm afraid my friends and I have been found out.

As soon as the boys disappear out of sight, I make a run for it. I run in my house and slam the door closed, making sure to lock it securely tight. I don't know where they came from, or what they want with me, but I sure don't want to see them again. Maybe I'll wear a wig to school tomorrow? Who are you kidding? Just throw on a dress, curl your hair, and you look like a completely different person. I blank out for a minute. Then I hear "RUBY FORESTIER!!" Oh it's mom. She must be angry at me for running out when I haven't even finished homework. Here comes the lecture on homework-before-play.

After my lecture, scolding, dinner and homework, I go to my room and choose out my clothes for tomorrow. I dig all the way to the bottom of my dresser, not a single girl piece of clothing. All hoodies, flannels and tank tops or t-shirts. Hmm... what will I do? I can't change the way I look, and mom would kill me if I dyed my hair, and I don't really want to cut it after I got it this long. I gather all my guts and go to my closet. This is the place of all girly-frilly-fru-fru-dressy-pretty-girly-girl outfits.

I open the door and realize that mom actually cleaned out a whole lot of my old piano recital dresses. I see the one from my middle school promotion, light lavender with lace on it, my homecoming dress, the midnight blue one with glitter tulle, or the winter formal one that's super long. If I need anything to go with these dresses, I need heels. All my other shoes are sneakers or running shoes. I try the dresses on first, but none of them look good on me anymore. What made me think I looked good in them in the first place? Oh, right, maybe I wasn't this ugly before. I go up to the mirror and stare blankly at my face. The scar next to my cheek was from a bicycle crash in 8th grade, and my eyes have bags under them from staying up late.

At last I ask my mom if I can borrow one of her dresses. She agrees to help me choose, and I end up with a light blue dress. Apparently, mom thought it would be better if I wore a necklace and dangly earrings with it. If it would hide me from those weirdos at school, I'd do this. Only on special circumstances that is, If it were a normal day, I'd throw a fit. The next day, school goes on fine. Just as it should be. At the end of the day, I am exhausted and go home to throw on a hoodie. Later, I bring Roxy, my dog, out for a walk. I turn the corner and see the van again. My eyes go big and pulse races. The first instinct is to find a place to hide. The wall covering a neighbor's fence made a good place to spy on them. I stare but there's not a person in sight. Roxy barks insanely and runs off. "Roxy!" I yell. Suddenly, I am confronted by those boys from the van.

Author's note-

Hello viewers! I hope you enjoy the first chapter of The Dark Society! I haven't finished the other chapters yet, but I hope to get to Chapter 2 next week. (Please don't blame me if I don't, school work is a lot these days) Also, please feel free to give me feedback, I know I don't have the best vocabulary, but I write better on essays... LOL. However, I am not as strong in grammar, so do leave me a comment if you think I could do better! I also recommend the fairy tale story Emmy is writing, It's very cute and she uses way better vocabulary than me (cough cough) as you can tell from this author's note...

Self note: I'm kind of afraid to see what friends will think of me after this... Oh well, friends are friends. 

~Ashley the Fox

Author's Friend's Note- OMG THIS IS AMAZING!!!! NOW I FEEL LIKE MY STORY'S LAME :(  BUT DANG ASH GOT'S SKILLSSSSS :) Make sure to stay tuned to see her next chapter~

~Emmy Bunny