WHEN THE WORLDS COLLIDE...

She collapsed to the ground and curled her knees to her chest, hardly taking in the carnage spread around her. The fighting had stopped—the violence of the final battle halted by the sheer shock and awe of what just happened. Everyone else was moved, in tears even.

But not her.

No, the rage and indignation burned within her. They had been warned, after all. It was stupid to believe this could have ended any other way.

Their blood will be the sacrifice, uniting all worlds as one.

But the sacrifice was too much. The price was too steep. And she'd be damned if she was going to pay it that easily.

Anger and sorrow coursed through her veins, pulling every ounce of her magic to the surface. Her skin tingle with the need to release it. Her eyes were alight with power and determination, and reflected the magic she called. Green and brown and lavender mixed together, swirling around her dilated pupils.

"Not this price," she said to herself. "Not if I can help it."

Before anyone could realize what she was doing, she locked onto her target and released every ounce of magic within her, ignoring their gasps and protests. She had to do this. To hell with the consequences.

To hell with the consequences...she always seemed to be saying that when it came to this war. Fitting that it all would come to an end one year after she had first arrived here.