Chapter Eight

Five Weeks Later

"We're having breakfast here?" Lena wrinkled her nose. "I'd hoped we were going someplace with mimosas on the menu."

I shot her a knowing look. She looked rumpled and worse for the wear this morning. "I think maybe you had enough to drink last night."

"I wish I'd had time to kick back a few shots last night," she grumbled. "This is exhaustion."

"You're a PR girl for one of the hottest clubs in Houston," Vivi replied. "How hard can that be?"

Lena shot her the finger. "That hard."

I snorted with amusement and shoved open the door to the bakery/café I'd come to love. "Dimitri introduced me to this place. The breakfast tacos and pastries here are to die for!"

"I'm not so sure about all these carbs," Lena said as she tucked her sunglasses into her oversized and ridiculously expensive purse. "I had to suck it in just to get into these jeans this morning."

"Then maybe you should try buying jeans in your actual size," Vivi suggested. "No one else sees the number but you, Lena."

She smacked Vivian's tiny butt and made her yelp. "When you finally get out of the toddler section, you can tell me all about buying jeans to fit a donkey booty."

I laughed but gave the pair a hand gesture to tell them to tone it down. The patrons of Benny's bakery weren't the type of crowd who would enjoy talk of big butts and skinny jeans.

As Vivian and Lena talked in hushed tones behind me, I glanced around the bakery. The Saturday morning breakfast rush seemed like good business. Most of the tables were full and the line to order was a decent size. Still, I knew from the little bit I'd pried from Dimitri that the place was struggling.

I caught sight of Benny coming out of the kitchen area. She balanced a huge tray of pastries one hand. Back behind the counter, she handed them off to one of her employees and moved down the line. She noticed me and smiled. Her bright grin infected me with happiness. I don't know that I'd ever met anyone as spunky or fun as Benny.

Before I could turn to tell Lena and Vivi about her, Lena made a strange sound. "Benny Burkhart?"

Laughing, Benny hurried out from behind the counter to hug Lena. "Oh my gosh! How long has it been?"

"Sophomore year at college," Lena said and hugged her back. "I heard you'd left school to help out with the family business. I had no idea it was a bakery!"

"This is it." Benny motioned around the cozy place. "I'm going to school part-time now. I need two semesters before I graduate."

"Good for you!" Lena shot me an annoyed look. "Why didn't you tell me Benny owned this place?"

"I didn't know you two were acquainted."

"We were in the same dorm freshman year," Benny explained. "We had a pretty good time together."

"Hell yes we did!" Lena's skilled eye jumped around the bakery. "Looks like you could use some marketing and PR help, Benny. This is a good location but you're not doing nearly as much business as you could."

Benny swallowed a bit nervously. "Those kinds of skills are expensive to hire."

Lena smiled warmly. "I'm sure we can work something out."

Benn looked surprised. "You're in PR now?"

Lena nodded. "I work at Hillman & Crest where I do mainly night clubs and restaurants but I know I can handle this. Why don't we trade contact info..."