Imperial Frost *Chapter II*

(“The Girl” P.O.V.)

I’m completely dumbfounded. Where am I? Who am I? I freeze.

What was I doing before I got here…?

I can’t remember anything about myself!

“Who am I?” I ask the guy who introduced himself as Toshiro, the “Captain of Squad 10.”

He stares back at me, once again, with clear bewilderment. This reaction only adds to my rapidly rising anxiety.

My imminent panic attack must be obvious, as he quickly blurts out all he knows.

“From what I’ve been told by my superior, you used to live in the Royal Palace, the domain of the Soul King. Because of the danger currently encompassing the King, he decided to send all of his subjects out of the city and into the Soul Society. You were placed in Squad 10, and essentially in my care.”

He seemed to struggle with those last three words, but I ignore that. What the hell is a Soul Society? I feel so stupid, like I need the world explained to me. Despite my ignorant feeling, I ask Toshiro what the Soul Society is.

“The Soul Society serves as a bureau of intelligence and protection of the dearly departed souls against malicious entities known as ‘Hollows,’ who will try to devour any soul that gets lost and does not cross over to the Seireitei.”

Sounds like some pretty serious business. I’m not sure I can fit in with a crowd of spiritual police officers, who, by the looks of Toshiro’s sword, are a band of samurai…

Suddenly, my head begins to feel like it’s being pulled down by a lead weight. My ears start to ring loudly and my body temperature flashes violently between subzero and red-hot.

Then everything goes black.

(Toshiro’s P.O.V.)

As I explain what seems like the entire world to the girl, her irises flash white, her pupils dilate, and her skin begins to slowly fade back into the sickly ivory color it held before. As I move towards her, her eyes roll back and she collapses into my arms. Her body’s temperature is in so chaotic a pattern that I can feel it just from touching her. The girl’s breathing is shallow, rapid, and desperate. The progression towards the bleached skin tone begins to set in more, and I am abruptly struck with an idea.

“Shimo!” I yell out.                                                           

Just as before, the skin changes back to brown and I can feel the girl’s temperature and breathing pattern begin to stabilize again. I gently rest her down on the couch and return with blankets and wet cloth for the girl’s head. Though she’ll recover, I doubt she’ll be waking up anytime soon.

(“The Girl’s” P.O.V.)

The inky blackness soon pales into blinding white, and I shield my eyes with my hand. When my eyes adjust, I see a long hallway with white floor and ceiling and tan walls on either side. At the end of the hall is an enormous staircase. Though I hardly feel as if I can walk with such rubbery legs, I find myself heading towards the stairs automatically. When I reach the top of the stairs, a huge wave of alarm washes over me and I try to run in the opposite direction. Suddenly an incredibly large man with piercing brown eyes emerges from the darkness in front of me. My alarm shifts into dulled uneasiness as the man reaches out and whispers to me in his menacing tenor voice.

“I know where you are Okeshimo. Don’t think you can hide from me forever, because you will serve your purpose.”

The blinding light returns, and I snap awake in a cold sweat on a couch. I’m covered in blankets and a cloth covers my forehead. I guess Toshiro worried about me I passed out.