Imperial Frost

(Toshiro's P.O.V.)

Rangiku rudely bursts into my office, as usual, but this time doesn’t come upon me on accident and need to make up an excuse for unfinished paperwork on the spot. Apparently Head Captain Yamamoto wants to see me at once and has asked Rangiku to deliver the message herself. I comply immediately and arrive shortly.

“Captain Hitsugaya! I have chosen you for a very sensitive assignment. Due to the increasing danger threatening the domain of the Soul King, he has decided to begin to relocate his subjects from the Royal Palace. Several of them have been placed in various locations throughout the Seireitei, though mostly in the Rukongai. One of them will be placed in Squad 10.”

At this point, an incredibly petite girl with a bob cut with long sides emerges from the confines of the Head Captain’s meeting hall in the arms of his lieutenant, Sasakibe. She’s unconscious in a seemingly hypnotic state, which confuses me, but I think it best not to question the Head Captain. These were royal affairs. The Head Captain dismisses me, and I take the girl into my arms.

‘She’s even lighter than I expected,’ I muse. ‘And shorter too. Probably less than my own five feet…’

I return quickly to Squad 10’s barracks and head straight for my office. I've already placed her on the couch Rangiku had claimed for her paperwork before I realize that the girl is still in her trance and I don’t know how to snap her out of it.

“Um…” I begin. I then realize I don’t know her name either. I start to return to the Head Captain for assistance when I notice a small slip of paper crumpled up tightly in the girl’s left hand. I easily remove it and read it aloud.

“Shimo.”

Like magic, the cloudy white shroud of the girl’s eyes darkens into a smooth pure onyx, as does her ashen gray hair. Her skin tone deepens from faded ivory to dark rust. Unbeknownst to me, I’d been semi-gaping for some time after her transformation, and I hear a mildly uncomfortable voice begin to speak.

“Who are you?” the girl manages to rasp out.

I snap out of my reverie.

“Ahem, I am Toshiro Hitsugaya, Captain of Squad 10.”

The girl seems to contemplate this for a while. When I am just about to turn away to start my enormous load of paperwork, I am taken aback by her second question.

“Who am I?”