episode i, scene i: the runaways

episode one, scene one: the runaways.

It was raining when she met him for the first time

Or--more adequately--it has rained on every special or important moment she would ever spend together with him, just neither of them knew it yet. But even before him, would always rain when something important in her life was about to happen. It was like a type of sign that told her that her life was about to change. For better or for worse, but there would be a change coming at her.

She should have known it the second the first rain drops of the night started falling onto the cold asphalt of the street. Above were cruisers and buildings illuminating the sky. Most people didn't walk, even less when it was night time. But she hated the rain. She hated the rain because she didn't have a place to keep warm like most other people in town did. She didn't have a home, and lived on the streets, surviving off what she could scavenge from dumpsters and the pity offerings people would give her. Her parents had abandoned her on the streets a long time ago and, coincidentally, it was also raining that day. She was only six when she was left on Coruscant all by herself, and needed to learn how to survive on her own.

She should have suspected something was going to happen when it started to rain.

It was as if the skies were reflecting her mood, only her mood was permanently gloomy. She never had anything to smile about. She was a street rat; a no one who had no parents or a family who loved her. All she really knew about them was that they abandoned her when she was a small child. She couldn't remember anything about them, not even their appearance, but she knew that she hated them. They had left her at the mercy of the streets when she was only six years old.

Of the few things she knew about her past was her name.

Her name was Belén, and she wasn't from Coruscant. She couldn't recollect the memories of her home planet. But she didn't concern herself with that. What she most worried about on a day-to-day basis was finding ways to stay alive.

There had been a dark hole consuming her heart ever since then, a hole she never thought anyone would help her destroy. 

It all started when she met him.

She sat in a dark alley of the planet Coruscant, with her knees pulled up to her chest, trying to retain body heat under a piece of cardboard that stuck out from a dumpster to shield her from the rain. It wasn't working too well and she shivered madly inside her torn up clothes that didn't cover up much from the harsh weather. 

"I should be used to this." She muttered to herself, words that were reassuring, but also scolding at herself. Her long blonde hair draped over her face and arms in a second attempt to conceal herself from the pouring rain a little better. "This isn't the first rainy day I've spent out in the cold and I'm sure it's not the last either." She continued telling herself reassuringly. But her own words served as no form of consolation. She was feeling colder and colder with every passing minute, and she thought she was probably on the verge of hypothermia.