Chapter 24

"So be it," Quentin said harshly as he continued to glare at me.

"Tara, will you please." I stiffened as Tara moved to turn up my RESAT, as Quentin called it, but Axel suddenly stepped forward.

"You do realize you could kill her if you do this," he said.

His voice was deeper than I had expected but I showed no reaction to it. Axel was still the one who somehow got Ethan here and worked for the enemies of our parents. He deserved no recognition.

I was also sure that Quentin knew the RESAT can kill me and that Axel didn't care whether I died or not.

"Yes, I do realize that," Quentin responded. "And if she dies, she dies."

He nodded to Tara so I brace myself. I expected the pain to come as it seemed to have affected Ethan and the others. But, like the darts, nothing happened. Tara continued to turn up the RESAT and while I did hear a high-pitched soft screeching in my ear, which was probably the most annoying thing ever, I felt no pain whatsoever other than a slight pinch.

Quentin watched me and Tara eventually said, "it's up all the way."

Quentin made no response as he continued to watch me. I got that he was looking for a reaction from me. Any reaction. Therefore, I didn't give him any reaction. I had no powers and I felt the need to prove that to Quentin. I felt the need to prove that to my uncle, my aunt and apparently my cousin so then they can see that I was not special and that they should kill me before they killed my brothers. I had nothing to contribute to the world, they did.

"Turn it off," Quentin said and walked back toward Tara.

Standing behind the computer, he leaned against the desk and stared harshly at me. "I know you're father, Emily, and never again will I underestimate him or his kin. Now I don't know how you rigged the tests and sustained the RESAT but I don't intend to keep you alive to figure that out." He straightened again and threw the Orange jumpsuit to me. "Make sure you get comfortable in that because tomorrow, you will die."

***

I'm returned to my chair in a sort of haze as Quentin and Tara went through Jacob and Raymond. I didn't pay much attention though because I was continually relaying Quentin' s words through my ears.

I was kind of expecting him to utter the words but hearing him actually say them made it more of a reality. Today was my last day of life. Tomorrow, that privilege would be striped away from me simply because I had no powers.

When Tara and Quentin were done, Axel took the RESAT off of me then lead all four of us to another room. We were all handcuffed and the three boys still had their RESAT' s on.

Axel opened the door to the third cell in a hall and watched us as we all walk in.

As I walked in, being the last one, he looked at me pitifully. I just glared at him and turned into the cell but immediately ran into Raymond's back.

He had stopped for some reason right after the door way of the cell. The door shut behind me.

"What's wrong?" I hissed.

"Hold on, it's dark and they're glowing," Raymond said. Raymond, Ethan and Jacob were all glowing and as I peered past them, I noticed two other figures glowing; which was probably what Raymond was talking about.

"Who's there?" A familiar voice called out from the darkness.

"Ostin?" Ethan responded and I realized why the voice sounded familiar.