21. Epilouge

Adeline

The portal gleamed in front of us. A female warlock who was a friend of Magnus had opened it. Fallon and I were about to step through it before we both turned around. Fallon pulled Sam into a tight embrace as I did the same to Alec. I gave him a peck on the cheek, then giggled as I wiped the lipstick away.

"Sweetheart," Magnus sassed, "Alec is mine."

"I know, but he's been an amazing friend to me the few months I've been here. I'm gonna miss him," I sighed.

"I'm gonna miss you, too," Alec smiled, giving me one last hug.

Then we actually stepped through the portal.

A portal is an odd sensation. Your body is in one place, but your mind is in another. The portal tries to put your body and mind into one place, and everything that physics claims to be true attempts to keep it from happening. Its kind of like being on a rollercoaster where your body refuses to move.

"Fallon," I choked as we fell onto the floor of the Maine Institute. Well, I fell, and my bag rolled across the floor. Fallon, however, was perfectly fine. My everything still felt as weak as a newborn child from the whole parabati bond breaking thing. The vampire blood in Fallon must have healed her quicker or something because she didn't seem phased by it at all. She quickly helped me up before slinging her bag on the floor.

When I stood up, I smiled a great big grin when I saw my mom waiting for me.

"Mommy," I smiled. I know. Mommy is a bit childish, but when you have two moms, you come up with different names for them. Mommy was tall with long curly hair, but she always kept it in a bun for training purposes. Mama was my biological mom's twin sister. We all had the same pin straight, platinum hair, sapphire eyes, and narrow features. I was twelve when I started dying my hair just so I could be different from them. Of course by that point, Mom was long gone, but I still liked the diversity.

"Adeline," Mommy smiled, absorbing me in a big hug. "I missed you." I've had a hard time greaving your Mama's death without you.

"I missed you, too," I sighed. I've really needed my Mommy these past few days.

"Do you want to go get coffee?" she asked. We need to talk about dead inside we both are.

"I would love to," I agreed. I know we do.

Mommy and I started walking out when Fallon said with a sneer:

"That's it? No 'Good job, Fallon. Thanks for saving my daughter'? I've been training here since I could walk, Jessica. I know Holland is in charge, but you have just as much been my mom as you are Adeline's. I'm sorry I was never close with Kristen and I'm not taking her death as hard, but I have feelings too!"

"Not everything is about you, Fallon," I shot back, turning towards the vampire.

"I'm just saying you're not the only one who needs a mom right now! Yeah, you just lost Kristen and Hero, but I lost the one thing that made sense in my life: being a Shadowhunter. And I had to leave Sam behind-"

"At least you didn't have to kill Sam in order to save everyone else you loved!" I screamed.

Fallon ran towards me and towered over me like a skyscraper.

"If you can't handle it, maybe you shouldn't be a Shadowhunter," she growled.

"Maybe you're right."

The glow of the portal still shone. It was still open. The clicking of my heels rang through the training room as I shouldered my bag and I jumped right back into the portal. Somewhere in travel, I started sobbing because when I found Alec again, he had to wash mascara off of my face. He let me cry for a while before trying the big brother comforting.

"Everything's going to be okay. I promise," Alec lied as we sat in his old room in the New York Institute.

"Have you ever lost your parabati? Its worse than death. And on top of it all, I lost my mom and the only serious boyfriend I've ever had in a matter of a few hours. Its not going to be okay, Alec. It's not!" I sobbed, probably staining his shirt with my makeup. I really should have worn waterproof that day.

"Hey. Do you want to walk back to the apartment with Magnus and I? We have ice cream and Disney movies which always make you feel better," he offered.

"But you guys just got engaged. Don't you want to be alone?" I sniffled.

"If Magnus cared, he would have sent Izzy in here a while ago. He knows I love him. He doesn't need a date every night or a make out session every time something good happens for him to know that. We had our nice morning together and a very great afternoon, but sometimes friends just need a night or two to recover from heartbreak. What if I talk to him? See if you can come over? Maybe Clary and Izzy could come as well? Would you like that?" Alec offered.

I nodded.

He left, and I washed my face before Izzy came to collect me. Apparently, Magnus was a tad bit upset, but he understood and was willing to have the sleepover, which I was extremely grateful for.

On our walk there, I accidentally bumped into this guy on the sidewalk. He had dark fluff on top of his head as if he had been working out and his clothes definitely confirmed my suspicions. I apologized but he ignored me before we all went up to the apartment. Everything was fine until I thought I saw Hero out of the corner of my eye.

"You okay, Adeline?" Izzy asked, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah," I fake smiled. "Can you pass the popcorn?"

SEQUEL: Adeline's Tale (Link in external link)