Chapter 11- That Would Be Enough.

Christine Destler

           "This is the end." The cold blade pressed against my throat. My vision turned blurry, and I couldn't see straight. I felt the tears falling down my face. I would never see  my beautiful son's face again. I would never live to sing another masterpiece that Erik created. Erik would never hold me in his arms again. The blade was pressed harder.

           "Please! Please stop! Stop, please, stop!" I couldn't stop myself for begging for mercy. I opened my eyes to look at Erik. He gave me the same look he did at the opera house. He held out his hands to me the same way he did as I was pulled away from him.

           "Don't do this to her. It's me you want to kill. Christine has done no harm." Erik was the most persuasive speaker I had ever heard. If he couldn't stop someone, nobody could.

            "No. I see what your doing. I won't fall for it!" James' voice was thick, as if he were fighting off tears.

            "Give me the blade, James. Give me the hurt and the pain and the blade, James." Erik took a step closer. Reluctantly, James pulled the blade away from my throat. I fell to the ground, panting and stunned. I quickly scrambled to my feet, running to Erik. Erik held me in his arms, stroking my hair. Before I could think, he whispered in my ear:

            "Christine, stay inside." And he pushed me behind him. He gestured to the door, and James followed. I followed them outside, much to Erik's dismay. It surprised me how far we walked out into the forest. I wondered why Erik wanted to go so far. Abruptly, Erik stopped. And then he looked at James. I watched as Erik charged towards James and another fight broke out. Erik was wounded, while James was untouched. The blade slipped from James' hand, and Erik picked it up before anyone had time to blink. James, too, was fast. He managed to get hold of his neck, which stunned Erik. Before Erik could realize James' actions, he was already choking. He slowly found the strength to slice James' arm. James immediately pulled back and howled in pain.

             Erik looked at me, mouthing the words "Look away." But I didn't. In one swift motion, he cut James neck open, and James fell to the ground. James gagged and spit blood out of his mouth, but the blood filled his lungs too quickly. I watched as the life faded out of James Delaro's eyes. Erik stepped back, dropping the blade, looking at me with a pain-filled expression.

            "Christine, don't worry. I won't hurt you." Erik raised his hands, as if to offer that he had no weapon. He took a step towards me. "I won't hurt you, I promise." I couldn't understand why he kept telling me that. Did he think I was afraid of him? All he did was protect me.

            "Why would I ever think you would?" I took a step towards him, but tripped on something which I could only assume was my dress. Erik caught me in his arms, and I broke out into loud sobs. I wasn't sad that James was dead. I was relieved that I was free. I was happy that I was home safe.

Erik Destler
Two days later

            I laid next to my sleeping Christine, waiting for her to wake up. I stroked her hair as gently as I could. I felt so thankful that she was home. My heart never felt complete unless Christine was around. Of course, since she was home, my heart was fuller, but Gustave wasn't home. I knew that he was supposed to be home any minute, and Christine would be more than excited to see him.

           "Good morning," Christine murmured. I smiled halfheartedly. 

           "Good morning, love." I pulled the sheets off of me and stood up. "How does breakfast in bed sound?" 

             "Oh, no. I can't let you cook for me. I haven't been here in nearly three months," she objected, jumping out of bed. 

              "It's alright, Christine. I can handle it. I cooked for myself for a longer time than three months." Still, she shook her head. I sighed, giving in. "I will write the lyrics to my new music at the table, then. You may cook. Is that a good enough compromise for you?"

           "That would be enough," she smiled gently, placing her hand in mine. "What would you like?" 

              "I am afraid there might not be anything to cook. Gustave tends to eat at Madame Giry's home, and I do not eat unless you are here to remind me to," I explained. She sighed in disappointment. 

              "I was wondering why you looked thinner than usual," she noted. "I suppose it is alright. I'll see what I can make and go to the market tomorrow." 

              "Good plan. You'll have to go to the opera house in a few days to get everything settled. Before you start performing again, I'll have to give you a few lessons. I wouldn't let you go on stage without your voice being perfectly, well, perfect."

               "I don't doubt that," she agreed.                                                                                                                            

Christine Daae

          "Five more minutes!" I scrubbed my dirt-covered arms as quickly as I could. I heard Erik groan on the other side of the door. I laughed as quietly as I could as I unplugged the drain. I jumped out of the bath tub, nearly slipping, and wrapped a towel around my body. I grabbed a brush and opened the door to let Erik in. 

          "I will never understand why women take so long to get ready," Erik said, glaring at me. I took it lightly, knowing he meant no harm. 

           "Beauty takes work," I shouted as I walked opened the door to the closet. I felt a presence behind me. 

           "When that certain woman is an angel sent from God above, beauty takes no effort," Erik whispered. I rolled my eyes and picked a dress out. Erik disappeared from behind me. I gently set the towel on the bed and changed into my dress. As I brushed my hair out, I heard the front door creak. I was surprised that Erik didn't. Then, I heard the most beautiful sound in the world:

          "Father?" Gustave called out. I ran out the door and down the hallway, stopping at the living room. Gustave stood, with his big suitcase in both arms, looking around with wide eyes. His eyes turned to me, and the most beautiful smile spread onto on his face. "Mommy?" 

          I knelt down, opening my arms to him. He dropped his suitcase and ran to me. I let out a shaky, relieved laugh as he wrapped his arms around my neck. I kissed his hair and whispered to him. "I missed you so much, Gustave." 

           "Are you hurt?" Gustave stroked my cheek gently, concern growing on his face. I smiled and shook my head. 

           "I'm perfect, darling. Perfectly perfect." I realized Erik was standing behind me. Erik knelt down and hugged us both, and whispered something into my ear:

           "My family is whole again."