Chapter 15- The Letters.

Quick authors note!!! There are five more chapters till the end! There will probably be about a two or three month wait for the final book of the series to come out. As I have previously stated, there will be around 60 chapters in the final book, not including authors notes. So, without further ado, please enjoy!

Christine Destler.
four months later

          "Really, Meg, he seems so tired lately. His letters are just as frequent, but the length of them have gotten shorter and shorter. All he talks about is missing home. I've tried to convince him to come home early, but you know how he is. He won't do it. His work is just so important to him. He's gotten himself obsessed with the fact that he needs to leave us some big legacy so our family will prosper," I rambled, taking a sip of tea.

            "Let me see the letter again." I handed her the letter and she began to read it out loud. "My dearest Christine, work has only gotten harder. I miss you. How are our children? I know the babies are due soon. I'm sorry I can't be there for their birth. Happy late birthday, also. I know I didn't write for it. I miss you and love you with all my heart."

           "He writes like he has no time. It's like he's constantly busy," I sighed, setting my tea down.

            "This just doesn't sound like Erik, Christine. Something is off with him."

            "I know. There's this feeling...I can't explain it. I feel like he's hiding something from me," I admitted.

            "You don't think he would cheat on you?" She looked at me with wide eyes.

             "No! Erik would never," I objected, "I think.  I don't know! This is all so confusing."

              "He's in London, alone, with no company. That would definitely worry me." She set the letter down, adjusting herself on the couch. "I don't mean to scare you, Christine. Erik loves you, truly. I just think you need to be on your guard."

             "Yes, well-" A sharp pain that I new all too well coursed through me. Meg looked at me, realizing what was going on.

              "Oh! Raoul, come help me get Christine into bed, please!"

Erik Destler

        "Mr. Destler?" A voice woke me up, causing me to jolt upright.

        "My apologies. I was up rather late last night," I yawned, fixing my suit.

         "Yes, well, what do you think about this piece?" Lately, the work never seemed to end. I was just excited to leave the next day. I couldn't wait to see Christine's face when I arrived at home a week before I was supposed to. I couldn't wait to see all of them. I missed teaching Gustave how to play songs on the piano. I missed holding Christine in my arms, and I missed singing in her ear as she fell asleep. I missed the way her voice soared. I missed it all.

Christine Destler
A few hours later.

         "Congratulations, Christine! They're girls!" Meg squealed in delight, handing me my two daughters. I sighed in relief, holding them closely. She went to the door, letting Gustave in. He rushed to my side.

         "Mommy, mommy! Are they girls or boys?" He sat down next to me, gently stroking their heads.

         "They're girls," I murmured, smiling at them with all the love in the world.

          "What will we name them?" Gustave wondered.

           "How about you choose a name and I choose a name? Does that sound nice?" Gustave nodded, his eyes filled with enthusiasm. "Very well. Your father and I discussed some names, and I think our favorite name was Harmony. Well, it was my favorite name.

          "Can we name her Presley?" He asked, pointing to the baby I was holding in my right arm.

         "I like that name. Why do you like that name?"

         "It's unique, like she will be." I laughed wholeheartedly.

          "She will be very unique, just like her sister and you," I agreed. Meg walked over to take them so she could check up on them and make sure everything was alright with them. I hugged Gustave, smiling. Raoul walked in with an envelope adressed to me.

         "Gustave, if you don't mind, would you wait outside awhile?" Raoul asked kindly. Gustave nodded and walked quickly out of the room.

        "I got a little bored, so I decided to get your mail for you. I'm sure it's from Erik, so I'll let you read it alone." I thanked him and with that, he left the room. I opened the rather large envelope, wondering what was inside. There was a small pamphlet, indicating me to read the letter first. I did as instructed and began to read.

      My  dearest Christine,
                I'm sure you are confused as to why I've sent you this. I couldn't keep this secret away from you. I met a woman while you were at the opera house. I needed someone. She was there. Gustave was with Madame Giry, and one thing led to another and...I'm sure you don't need the details. It just felt so new, different. I started to meet her weekly from then on. I left for London thinking that she was what I wanted. I wanted to take a break from everything. I ended things with her before writing this letter. I am sorry for the pain this will cause you. I can't imagine what you must think of me.

          I know I don't deserve you, Christine. I'm coming home soon. I will tell you everything then, I promise you. The pamphlet you have received is all the letters she has written to me and the letters I have written to her. I wanted you to know everything. I am so deeply sorry. I love you with all my heart.

     Yours in regret,
                          Erik.

            "No," I whispered. "It can't be."