3. Transformations

Chapter Three

I called off work so I could be by Esme's side. Edward volunteered to look after this beautiful woman but I wanted to be there when she woke up. To apologise for what I had done to her... Apologise for what I should have done...

"You need to stop beating yourself up." Edward was sat against the wall opposite me. In between us lay Esme. She was whimpering in her pain. Every so often her fists would clench or her toes would curl. It had been like this for three days and soon she would wake up. Three days was the rule for the vampire transformation.

"I was feeling the exact same when you was lying in front of me... Causing someone pain like this... It kills me..." Edward closed his eyes at the memory of his transformation and I refocused my attention on Esme. Her fist clenched again. Her heartbeat was racing now.

"Nearly time..." Edward murmured, opening his eyes again. I moved so I was on my knees beside Esme. I took hold of her hand. Edward stayed where he was, watching her.

Esme's hand tightened. She gasped and gave a piercing cry as the venom continued its path to stop her heart and to make her an immortal. She slumped to the floor again. Her cry cut out and her heart stopped beating. The silence was unnerving after so much whimpering and crying. Esme's hand loosened. I gave a gentle squeeze. She gasped and opened her eyes.