Chapter Six: Sunstone

Jasper and Garnet had taken to patrolling the deserts outside Beach City since the Cannon malfunctioned. The Desert Glass gemstone has been lost since the malfunctioning, and Jasper had taken it upon herself to investigate. Garnet volunteered as well, considering she, Amethyst and Pearl were the only gems to have previously dealt with the Desert Glass, but both were helping Peridot build a new cannon.

"So Garnet," said Jasper while trekking across one of the many hills of sand that covered the landscape of sand a heat, "how will we know when he locate the Desert Glass gemstone."

"Well," said Garnet while trudging behind Jasper, "it's going to have pillars of sand around it, but due to the unpredictable nature of the gem, we don't know in what radius the pillars are going to be, what size or height they take, or how durable they'll be."

"So basically," said Jasper, "we just need to look for any disturbance."

"Pretty much," said the fusion.

"Peachy."

After a while longer, Jasper asked Garnet the question that had been weighing on her mind throughout the entire trip: "But how do we know that the gem won't have evolved or changed its tactics? It's been over one earth year since it was last in action."

"I guess we'll just see," said the red gem with a surprising smile. "Great, more optimism," replied the orange gem almost instantly.

Garnet and Jasper cleared four more hills before the latter questioned the former once more. "So what were the gem's defenses last time."

"Last time, it changed the entire landscape by solidifying sand into weapons and fortifications of stone," replied Garnet.

"What kind of fortifications,"

"Well, Steven would be able to tell you about it more than I can. This was the day he encountered Lion in the desert. After officially adopting Lion, the two worked together to stop the Desert Glass."

"I've met Lion before," said Jasper while shielding her eyes from the sun.

"Yeah, well, from Steven's descriptions, the Desert Glass elevated itself with a sand tower and surrounded itself with spikes to prevent anyone from getting near."

"Wasn't that after it already had been in the desert for two weeks?"

"Yes, but as you said, it could have changed or evolved. It might have recently found its way to the desert, just three days ago, but don't underestimate it. We have no idea if its defenses are consistent."

"We'll do. But how-" Jasper was cut off by Garnet shushing her. "WHAT DO YOU THING YO-" screamed Jasper in annoyance, but this time Garnet all-out tackled Jasper to the ground and shoved the larger gems mouth into the sand to prevent her from speaking.

Garnet cut down on both knees and leaned in towards Jasper. "Shhh," she whispered. "I sense something with my future vision. There's a gem monster two hills ahead of us, and its moving this way, thanks to your scream."

Jasper lifted her head from the sand and turned to face Garnet. "Well how was I supposed to know th-" but she was cut off by Garnet summoning her gauntlet and pressing it against Jasper's mouth. "We gotta move up there, and quickly. I sense it's the Desert Glass, and it crafted a monstrous body around itself to protect its gem."

"How big is it?" asked Jasper. "About as large as Sugilite," replied Garnet stoically while trying to look over the tip of the hill to see it. "Darn," replied Jasper. "Well that means we gotta bring out the big guns."

The sand monster gazed over the hills in front of her. There she saw her opponent: Sunstone was large and muscular, very much taking after Jasper's Quartz-type origins. She had large, broad, bulky shoulders and humungous arms with colossal hands to match.

Her legs and arms were thick and meaty, with a large, brawny body to match. She had grey, curly hair that was a combination of Garnet's black afro with Jasper's long and flowing white hair. Her entire body was a tan, navel orange color lined with obstinate orange, a color pallet inherited from Jasper.

Sunstone charged the sand monster and summoned Jasper's helmet before ramming her head into its neck. The monster squealed in pain, and the long, rectangular front of the helmet jammed into its face, causing more damage to the monster. The sand creature tried to immobilize Sunstone at the close range by summoning three more arms to grab her, but Sunstone grabbed each of its hands with her four arms and punched it in the face with one of Garnet's gauntlet.

Sunstone lifted the creature up off its feet by the three extra arms, tearing two of them right out of their sand sockets in the process. Sunstone delivered a damaging kick to its side as two of her other arms grabbed opposite sides of the monsters chest and pulled.

The sand monster let out a screech of pain that was almost deafening, but Sunstone continued, and ripped apart the monster, revealing the Desert Glass in its chest. Satisfied, Sunstone gave a borderline-sadistic smile, used on her spare hands to rip the gem out, and watched in gladiatorial satisfaction as the monster crumbled apart.

As Jasper and Garnet trudged home with Garnet carrying the fallen gem in her gauntleted hand, she looked upon Jasper, who had a smile on her face. "What's so great," she asked the smirking Quartz gem. "I've just...we've never cooperated as Sunstone like that before. It was fun."

"Yeah," said Garnet with a satisfied smile. "It was."