Chapter Nine: Iolite

"I don't understand," began Lapis as she trudged up the steps to the Ancient Sky Arena, "why I have to learn how to function in triple-gem fusions. I don't know if you've noticed, but I've already participated in a triple-gem fusion with Garnet. And both of you for Pete's sake!

"If you haven't noticed already," the blue gem continued, "Kyanite and Moonstone are some of the most successful fusions to occur since I've started practicing."

"Well yes," began Pearl, "I suppose they are."

Lapis glared at Amethyst, who was two steps ahead of her, but the purple Quartz replied with a simple "this was P's idea. Don't look at me."

Pearl groaned in defeat at the two gems inability to grasp the importance of practicing. "Amethyst, we've talked about this. And Lapis," she said while purposely falling behind a few strides so she could face the ocean Gem, "two-gem fusions are drastically different from three-gem fusions, as evidenced by the forementioned Garnet, and Steven's own Stevonnie."

"That doesn't count," Lapis grumbled, "both of those fusions are made of love."

"Steven and Connie aren't in love," said Pearl. Lapis simply looked at the slender Gem and kept walking.

"Whatever," said Pearl, clearly frustrated that she hadn't noticed her little Steven had developed a crush on Connie, "the point is that three-gem fusions are more complex then two gem fusions because, no matter the relationship between two of the Gems, adding a third into the equation will be more complicated. I figured that since we've all had successful two-gem fusions with each other, us three all fusing together is the next logical step."

Amethyst groaned in response, but Lapis persisted with her original counter-reason for her fusion practice. "But what about what I said earlier? How I've already fused with Ruby and Sapphire to make Larimar?"

"Well," said Pearl, unsure of how to answer the ocean Gem's question due to her not being present for the three-way fusion, "what I've learned over the years is that fusions can be extremely successful under pressure. Take for instance, the first time Steven witnessed Amethyst and I fuse."

Amethyst questioningly looked at the slender gem. "I don't get it," said Amethyst, "how was that similar to Larimar?"

"Because," said Pearl as she raised a finger, "both were formed in a 'fight-or-flight' scenario. In other words, both times, the fusions were created under extreme pressure to save the common variable of Steven."

"And you two later got better at fusing," said Lapis, continuing Pearl's thought, "to the point that you guys could fuse with relative ease."

"Exactly," said Pearl.

The three gems reached the top of the Arena and Pearl held her arms out to welcome the two to the location. Amethyst took a seat on a scratched up, torn piece of stone that she presumed once functioned as a seat, but Lapis stared in awe at the size of the Arena. About a third of it had been obliterated during the war or eroded afterwards, but it was still massive. Lapis could only presume it must have been massive in its prime.

"All right," said Pearl as she clapped her hands, "lets begin."

_______________________

"Wait," said Peridot as she stood before Garnet and Jasper, "we're supposed to practice triple-gem fusions!"

"Technically," said Garnet as she gestured towards each of the gems on her hands, "its quadruple gem fusions, but yes, similar concept."

"But why!?" cried the green engineer gem.

"We figured," said Jasper as she took a step towards Peridot, "that since you had been having success fusing with Garnet, that adding in another variable to help practice for fusions beyond triple gems would be beneficial. Plus, Pearl and Amethyst took Lazuli to the Arena to practice their triple-gem fusions, so we figured we would try it ourselves."