Chapter Five

I thought this plotline might be...interesting (x lets see how it turns out, shall we? (:

Mariana's POV

Trying to be as quiet as I could, I crept out of the living room, down the hallway, and to the stairs. I cringed every time the floorboards creaked and prayed to God that nobody had heard and was waking up.

My parents, hell, even my own twin brother would think I was absolutely crazy if they caught me trying to go ghost hunting in our own attic in the middle of the night.

So...waking them up would be a horrible mistake. If I woke someone up and they came down and asked what the hell I was doing, either I would have to do some fast talking or else I was screwed.

Placing my foot on the first step, I froze. I froze there, shining the light of the flashlight up the stairs. I knew that if I didn't want to get caught, I should probably turn the flashlight off, but I was too busy having a mental argument with myself.

Come on, lets go! Ms. WantingToSeeIfThereWasReallyAGhost argued. (I think for times sake, I'll just call her Ms. W)

What the hell are you doing Mariana?! There are no such things as ghosts, you just need to go back to sleep! You have a test tomorrow remember? Ms. There'sNoSuchThingsAsGhostsJustGoBackToBed shot back. (I'll just call her Ms. T)

But come on! There might be some ghosts! Who knows? And besides, we all know that Mariana is probably gonna fail the test anyway. Ms. W retorted.

Hey! I mentally exclaimed, feeling slightly offended. Did Ms. W seriously just call me stupid?

I wanted to know if that's what she meant, but of course, I was ignored.

She just needs to go back to the couch and lay down! Or better yet, just go back up to her room! Come on Mariana, the attic may be creepy, but it ISN'T haunted! And besides, you'll have to get used to it eventually. You can't sleep on the couch forever. Ms. T pointed out.

I guess Ms. T did have a point...

My "mind voice" was about to say something back, when she was rudely interrupted by little Ms. W.

She can sleep AFTER she investigates! Ms. T is just stubborn Mariana. Don't listen to her. You want to see if there are any ghosts really around or if it was just your imagination. I wanna see too. If it was just your imagination, then Ms. T wins. But if there is really a ghost or two up there, then you and I win. C'mon. Just go up there. You can do it, just like you did earlier. Ms. W encouraged.

I felt Ms. T about to throw a complete hissy fit, but I was NOT about to be ignored this time.

STOP! I shouted. All the yelling inside my head was giving me a horrible headache and was, quite frankly, starting to piss me off.

Instantly, Ms. T and Ms. W stopped their bickering. I sighed in relief.

I could finally have some peace and quiet.

I believe in ghosts. I do not know what I saw earlier today, which is what I want to prove. My parents may not believe that there are ghosts in this houses, but I think there are. Or at least one ghost anyway. Ms. T may be right, but Ms. W and I have a chance too. And I want to take that chance and see if there is really anything up there or not. If there isn't...I will finally sleep. Hell, I promise to even sleep in my own bed and not on the couch in the living room. Ms. T is right about one thing. Even if there are ghosts in here, I have to get used to the idea. I can't keep sleeping on the old couch in the living room until we either move away or I go off to college.

Once ending that little mini mind rant, I instantly felt better. I had a headache that I hoped would go away soon, but I decided that that wasn't going to stop me from investigating the attic further.

I began the slow climb up the stairs. I was nervous, but tried not to let it show as I clutched the flashlight, the beam of the light bouncing off the stairs and walls.

Reaching the top of the stairs, I found myself facing down the long, dark hallway. Immediately, I regretted talking my parents into letting me have the biggest bedroom. It was all the way down the hallway, which was one hundred times creepier at night than in the day.

Plus it had access to our attic and resident ghost, I added silently in my head. I couldn't forget about that.

Taking a deep breath, I forced my legs to carry me down the long, dark hallway. Trying to ignore the shadows bouncing off the dark walls, I kept my eyes forward and my focus on the one thing I was concentrating on at the moment.

Getting to the attic.

The hallway seemed to stretch on forever, reminding me of some weird horror movie that I had seen like...I dunno, eight years ago?

Not important really, but still...it was creepy. No use in denying that.

Finally, I reached the door to my room. It was closed, which confused me. I could have sworn that I had left it open when I ran out of the room hours earlier.

No matter, Ms. T spoke. Your father probably closed it. Or your mother or brother. Doesn't automatically mean there are ghosts in the house.

She had a point...again.

Still, I had to go through with this. I was now standing at the closed attic/assumed to be bathroom door. I couldn't back out...not now.

Apparently Ms. T realized that she couldn't talk me out of it because she fell silent. Ms. W was quiet too which was strange...but she was probably loving the fact that I was listening to her and not Ms. T.

Reaching out and opening the door, I was faced with the looming attic stairs. Turning on the light before heading up helped some, but the dim light from the onen single light bulb was not enough. I was glad that I had remembered to bring a flashlight.

I left the door open in case I went fleeing down the stairs again. The attic was hot, much hotter than I remember it being. Walking to the center of the room, I glanced around.

Nobody was in sight.

"Hello?" I called out, hoping to get a response like earlier.

No answer.

"Is anyone here?" I asked again, now praying that I wasn't losing my mind.

Still no answer.

Maybe I had just imagined the voice and the figure from earlier...

Maybe Ms. T was right ad it was all just my imagination...and the house wasn't really haunted...

I decided to try one more time before giving up.

"You don't need to be afraid of me. C'mon. Please show yourself?" I didn't know if I sounded desperate there or not, but I really didn't care.

There was still no response.

Sighting, I gave up, assuming that maybe...I was crazy. It was possible.

Turning back towards the stairs, I began to walk down them...then...

"I've been waiting for you."

Can I like, give a -says in Louis' voice- SHOUT OUT to whoever invented cliffhangers. 'Cause I officially love that person. Comment and vote if you want (: