preface

SOMEWHERE, ONE OF THEM has just shattered the door of an ancient mausoleum, digging through the remnants of the golden dead

Another, in the crowded streets of Marrakech, hides under the shadows of vibrant, fringed fabric, her sickly green eyes catching on the light.

In the dead of night, amongst the mismatched contents of a closed museum, ones of great marble and stone come to life.

Another sits in a dusty shop with glazed eyes and beaded hair, holding yarn figures and jade needles.

Somewhere, in the depths of a wild forest, some of them live in the treetops, with painted faces and spears.

Others dance through the wood of the Black Forest, with wooden skin and amber eyes.

Others, emerge from fields in a purple haze, smelling of lavender and with faces of such beauty, that  even the gods crashed to their knees in awe.

Some rise from the sands of the desert. With kohl-rimmed eyes, golden skin and crowns.

Some live amongst the mud and the brambles, with feathers for hair and branches for horns.

Some had watched as Māui pulled the island from the depths of the sea. As Pele and Poliʻahu waged wars of fire and ice. 

While others have freckles that challenged the stars and live in palaces of tapestry, silver and dangling cloth.

Somewhere, one of their cats sits. With blue fur and a button over one eye. Above it flies a bird of glitter and stardust. Below them both slithers one of their snakes of obsidian.

Worshipped in ancient times.

Feared by the man of modern.

They've been known by many names.

Obeah.

La Santa Muerte.

Mangkukulam.

Kalku.

Čarodějnice.

Ladies of Lavender.

巫婆.

Isangoma.

Vǫlva.

Shaman.

Μάγισσα.

Brujería.

Night Women.

ساحرة.

Curandera.

Sorcière.

डायन.

Women of the Black Arts.

Bana-bhuidseach.

Majo.

Amoosu.

Chudail.

Witches.