CHAPTER 1: things that go bump

"I think he's looking at you!" Anya yells in my ear as if I wouldn't have heard her if she'd spoken in a quieter voice.

"Ouch! I'd like to be able to keep my hearing until I'm at least sixty five, you know." I comment rubbing my ears.

"Sorry!" she replies loudly at which I flinch and she lowers her voice. "Sorry."

"Who are you talking about anyway?" I question as I take a bite of my cafeteria bought sandwich. The food in the cafeteria isn't exactly the best food in the world but I'm starving and it was either this or salad.

"Zack is looking at you!" she whisper yells.

"Who?" I question whilst trying not to drop the sandwich filling in my lap. Let's just say I'm not the most elegant person when it comes to eating neatly.

"Zack?" Anya asks as if I'm the most stupid person on earth for not knowing who she is talking about. "Come on Cara. You seriously don't know who I'm talking about?"

"Ermmm, not really."

"He's only like the hottest guy ever to roam the halls of Haven Hill High." Anya sighs heavily as if day dreaming about him.

"Ohhhhh, are you talking about Zack Winters? Of course I know who he is- everyone does."

"Yeah, well he's looking directly at you," Anya points at me.

"Why would he do that? I don't even think he knows who I am Anya, let alone notice me out of the two hundred or so students in the cafeteria." I begin to turn around to see for myself.

"What are you doing?!" Anya pulls me back so that I'm facing her again. "You can't turn around now because then he's going to know that we're talking about him."

"So?" I question as I turn around again, ready to see what has Anya in such a tizzy.

My eyes immediately meet with gorgeous hazel ones from across the cafeteria and I can't help but inhale sharply at the intense gaze. Okay, so maybe Anya was onto something when she said that the school's most popular bad boy was staring directly at me.

Why though?

We both continue our staring match, silently willing the other person to look away first. My eyes take in the contours of his face from his defined jawline to his sculpted lips. There's not a doubt that Zack Winters could easily be a model if he wanted to.

Our staring match ends as his brother, Isaiah, blocks our view of each other but not before I see Zack's lips lift into a smirk that just screams trouble.

The three Winters brothers and their sister are known well around the school for their good looks and almost every girl has a crush on one, if not all of them. Zack has been tagged the bad boy, Harris the sports star and Isaiah is more on the nerdy side. Never the less, that's not to say that he is any less good looking than his brothers. Lila is Zack's twin and is literally perfect. Seriously. She is athetic, has the perfect figure, long brown hair down to her hips and gets along with everyone.

All the guys secretly want to be a Winters brother and all the girls want to date one. Naturally, the boys go for the cheerleader types who are all too willing to go out with them. The rest of us go by pretty much unnoticed but that's just how it is at Haven Hills High and no one dares messing with the order.

"Cara?"

"Huh?"

"I've been calling your name for the past two minutes. What the hell was that?" Anya asks.

I play dumb, knowing that she is asking about the stare down. "What was what?"

"You know exactly what I'm asking about," she states.