3: brain cells and childish pouts

"Is someone actually going to tell me what is going on or are you all planning on skirting around the issue for as long as possible until lunch ends?" I question, getting slightly annoyed with the fact that I've been standing here for ten minutes and still haven't found anything out.

"Someone," Lila stares pointedly at Zack. "Was supposed to explain everything to you before announcing to the whole world that you two are a couple but someone didn't."

"Hey! I did what I was supposed to, right? No one said anything about how to go about doing it so I did what needed to be done," Zack protests.

"Yeah but did you even think?" Lila asks. Zack opens his mouth to respond but Harris beats him to it.

"Awww come on Lila you can't be too harsh on the guy," he defends.

"Thank you Harris! See? At least one person understands my reasoning- I knew I liked you best," Zack says, looking smugly at his twin sister.

"I mean," Harris continues as if Zack hadn't said anything. "You can't exactly blame Zack for not thinking when he barely has any brain cells in his head to think with."

I can't help but laugh out loud at this statement and glance over to see that both Lila and Harris are laughing too. I laugh even harder and have to steady myself by leaning against the table when I see Zack's reaction.

He glares daggers at his brother and then at me as if I'm the one responsible for his ridicule. When he realises that he isn't going to get sympathy from any of us, he huffs and sits in his seat with a child-like pout on his face.

"This is what I get for being so handsome," he mutters. "God had to give me siblings who would only try to put me down and hurt my fragile heart," Zack's pout remains on his face and he clutches his heart in an exaggerated manner for emphasis.

"Awww, you lead such a hard life," I comment whilst trying hard to keep a straight face.

"I don't know why you're being so mean. Isn't it your job as my girlfriend to comfort me in my time of need?" he retorts in reply.

This sobers me up pretty quickly and I'm reminded of why I came to Zack's table in the first place. "Hmmm, funny you saying that. I don't actually recall agreeing to be your girlfriend in the first place. Maybe those limited brain cells are making you imagine things Zack..."

"Oooo burn!" Harris comments but shuts up when he sees the expression on Zack's face.

"Or maybe you've been dreaming about me so much that you-"

"Okay! I think that's enough children," Lila interjects, sensing that the conversation is heading south. "Have you eaten anything yet?" Lila directs this question at me and my response does not come from mouth but my body as it decides to speak for me- literally.

A blush rapidly spreads across my cheeks as a loud sound emanates from my stomach and answers Lila's question.

"Woah, do you have a live lion living inside of you or something? That sounded beastly!" Harris looks fascinated by the prospect.

"You got me," I say drily. "I've been secretly harvesting a lion in my stomach for about a year and a half now. I think it needs to be fed." I pat my stomach and it lets out another loud rumble as if demonstating this point.

"The cafeteria closes at two- what time is it now?" Lila asks.

"Two oh five," is Harris's reply as he looks at me apologetically.

I sigh, knowing that I won't be able to eat until I get home at around five-ish. "Oh well," I comment.

The four of us lapse into a silence and it finally hits me that I've been conversing with the Winters' for a majority of lunch. I seem to have forgotten about the many eyes that were on me from other students in the cafeteria and now that I've remembered, I can't help but feel uncomfortable with the attention.

"Here," Zack says and brings me out of my internal, mini-panic.

"Huh?"

"Have this," he motions towards his food tray which still contains half of his fries and gestures for me to sit down.

"I, er, n- it's okay. You finish them," I answer feeling flustered by his offer. Although my stomach is begging me to take Zack up and eat the delicious-looking fried goodness, I can't because I don't want the Winters' to think I'm the type of person to freeload off others so easily. I know I'm probably overthinking this and getting a bit too ahead of myself but I've seen how others treat the Winters' because of their money and I don't want them to think I'm one of those people.

"Just eat them," Zack insists and when he sees that I'm about to protest he says: "Look, they were only going to go to waste anyway so if you don't eat them then they're going to go in the bin. Plus," he adds. "We can't have people thinking that I'd let my girlfriend starve."

He had to go and ruin it, didn't he?

Just when I thought that the bad boy of Haven Hills High had a heart, he had to go and ruin it by opening his mouth. Stupid pooface.

"Zack," I begin.

"Just," he pauses and looks at me directly in the eye. "Can you just go along with the girlfriend thing until the end of the day? I'll explain everything to you after school and then you never have to speak to us again if you don't want to be a part of our plan but can you just wait it out until then?"

We stare intently at each other for a few moments before I nod reluctantly. I've only got two lessons left until the end of the day and everyone else already thinks that we're together so it can't hurt to go along with it for another two hours, can it?

"Good," his signature smirk reappears on his face. "Now eat up, I don't want any bad rumours going around. You look too slim as it is."

"Hey! What are you trmnph-" Zack cuts me off by shoving a fry into my mouth and I have to stop myself from moaning out loud as the salty tastiness goes down my throat.

I hear something along the lines of, "at least we know how to shut her up- just give her food." However I am too busy devouring said food to register it, let alone be insulted by Zack's comment.

A/N:
Hi guys! I'm pretty proud of this chapter because I've written it within two days which is kind of a record for me  (it usually takes me a week to write a chapter that I'm happy with lol)

I know that it's short and I guess you could call it a filler chapter but I needed to include it to be able to continue the story without people getting too confused. I know what I'm doing! Well, kind of... sort of... maybe...

Anywayyyyy, thanks for reading this chapter! I know at the moment there is only like two other people who have read my previous ones so thank you for reading them because you are the only people who motivate me to keep updating :)

I hope you all had a good Easter and until next time... xoxo