Play Date

I sat at my desk waiting for Norman to report back to me with the good news. After the origami killer was found work here has been quiet lately, we were only lucky enough to get a peep from the local residence in order to get any work done. This weeks new killer the card shark, only he was taken into custody last week, now we have to clean up his mess of copycats. Right now Norman is talking to one of the victim's from the card shark case. Her sister was killed and left with a perfect fingerprint free poker card, on the card was a queen, it could mean anything honestly. Right now all I care about is a paycheck to support me through this month. As long as there's a case I'm happy. Norman walks out the interrogation room with his hands in his pockets.
"Hey Norman. Did she crack?"
"No barely."
He sighs then scratches the back of his head.
"I can't get anything out of her."
He says.
"Well did she say anything at all about her sister? Something to help put this case to an end."
"Nope nothing at all."
"But this is her sister we are talking about, you can't just stand there and tell me that she has nothing to offer to help us track down some mad man."
"Look.."
He approaches me.
"I'm just telling you what the witness told me, maybe there's another way to get it out if her, maybe her sister's death was too traumatizing, maybe she needs more time to cooperate with us, it's best not to force the answers out of a witness."
"Maybe so Norman."
He walks back into the room as so I followed. She didn't look much from the start, a timid cute blonde with green flattery eyes, choice. I sat down in a chair and observed patiently. Norman made the first move, he was calm with the interrogation.
"Look, I only want clues, I need leads to find this killer, if you don't mind I'll be greatful just to get a peep from you, I understand if this no longer interests you."
The lady opened her mouth slowly, the blood shot glance of death still lingering in her eyes.
"I didn't know much of my sister before she died, we weren't really close..I wish I could inform you with more but it still hurts thinking about it."
"And I respect your answer, were done for today."
He grabs his gear then leads me out the door. The lady followed behind.
We approach his office door.
"Look, I just wanted to say good job on the interrogation, you handled it well and..um.. Just good job OK."
"Thanks."
He steps inside.
"So this is your office hu, completely different from what I had in mind, how do you get so much work done in here anyways?"
"As long as it gets the job done, I'll manage."
He sits at his desk, brushing away the dust.
"Look Norman.."
I paused.
"You've been busting your ass hard on this case, if it wasn't for you, we might not have gotten it this far."
"And your point?.."
"Look all I'm asking is that you take a break just for one day."
"I don't need a break."
I walked past him, noticing a pair of sunglasses in his right coat pocket.
"If you don't need a break then I guess you can do with out these."
I snatched the glasses from him winning his full attention.
"Come on this isn't funny."
"Just one day I beg of you, meet me at the coffee shop tomorrow morning."
"OK fine, but promise me you would stop screwing around in my office."
I then walked off, awaiting for tomorrow morning.
The next morning,I stood panicked, pacing back in forth.
"What if he says no?"
My heart raced. Suddenly I hear the door open,was it him? I went to go look but it was a
Tall skinny guy with black sunglasses rocking both a black goatee and a short spiked haircut. I couldn't tell what his eye color was because of the glasses glare. He went over toward the order line. That's ok, maybe Jayden's next in line. I kept my hopes up as if a mother clinging hope upon a baby. I just needed to see him. The door opens again. I held up my winning toast hoping it was Norman. ~one for the money two for the show, three get ready now Norman go go go ~ I studied the door observing the foot stepping through. Suddenly a familiar pair of eyes walk through. It was him! Inside, I screamed like a little girl having a birthday party. I wanted to run toward him but that would just be unprofessional.
Then he approaches me.
"Well I'm here."
I bit my bottom lip.
All of the words in my head had evaporated away like boiling water. I opened my mouth to speak.
"May I take your order?"
To the side was a small waitress.
"Uh sure."
It was odd, I could speak so casually to the waitress but not Jayden. The waitress leads us to a table then hands us a menu.
"If you need anything, let me know."
She then walks away. Now me and Norman where left alone not like I didn't mind or anything.
"So..."
I turned toward him, how should I put this into words. It felt like my brain was a puzzle mix, the words scattered across the board. Suddenly I hear the faint footsteps of disaster.
"May I take your order now?"
It was a different maid, was she unaware of the previous one?
Jayden studies the menu. His finger dancing along with the air.
"I'll take a mocha please, and also ease up on the fudge."
The waitress turns toward me.
"And you miss?"
Now the words in my head turned into scrambled letters, I had to choose one from the menu and say it right? Each letter came out like jumbled up syllable's, one syllable at a time. C-o-f-f-e-e?
Why is it so hard to say? I cleared my throat.
"Vanilla coffee please."
The waitress jots down our two orders then smiles.
"I'll be right back with your orders."
She leaves. I scratched my brain longing for no more interruptions. I came here to discuss with Norman.
"Jayden..."
He position's his body until we are now both face too face.
"I have a proposal for you..I"
"Here is your order mam and sir."
"Oh thank you."
The waitress sets the two hot drinks onto a table mat.
"Enjoy."
She leaves, hopefully for good this time. I sighed.
"Are you ok?"
"I'm fine.."
I grabbed the coffee and brought it toward my lips, its steamy heat hugging my face.
"Your proposal?"
I took a sip and as so did he.
"Oh right yea."
Maybe this is too soon to ask him.
"Come on tell me, its obvious your hiding something."
Was it really that obvious Jayden, can you truely see right through my glum mirror? I placed the coffee back down on the mat.
I wanted to tell him but this feeling of rejection over powered me. He took another sip, half way done with his coffee. I have a feeling that this won't last very long. I needed to bring myself to tell him.
"Norman."
I fiddled with my shirt, how should I put this into words?
His eyes punishing me, so harsh.
"I would like to be your partner in command, I wanna help out with the card shark case."
"Oh really?"
He raised an eyebrow fascinated with our conversation.
I quickly brought out my sketch pad.
"Look."
I opened it to the first page.
"I'm really good at drawing people, maybe I can help out with description."
He took another sip from the coffee. Maybe I'm rambling too much.
"Look Norman, I'm familiar with former partner Blake but I know I can do this, please trust me. I want to be out there on the field, I want to solve this case as much as you do."
He puts the coffee down on the mat.
"Alright, I'll consider your proposal."
My heart raced out in glee, a sweet warm fuzzy feeling overcame me. For sure I thought he was going to reject me. He stood up from his seat.
"I'll see you tomorrow ok."
"Ok."
Now I sit here awaiting for the next day to come.