Cold Coffee

I held the coffee timidly in my hand, this is the first day of me and Norman's partnership as a team. I approached his office door then allowed myself entrance. He was sitting at his desk tapping his pencil.
"Mr Jayden."
He glanced up at me then back at the desk.
"Um I got you coffee sir."
I handed him the coffee smiling.
"Mocha, just how you like it. Eased up on fudge."
"Hey listen."
His turquoise eyes grasping my full attention like a bear trap.
"Just because were partners doesn't mean you have to be so formal toward me."
He took a sip from the coffee then placed it back on the desk.
I had no idea that I was imposing on him like that, I only wanted him to like me.
"Hey, there's a crime scene nearby. We should go investigate it."
"yeah, alright.."
I left to go grab my things from my desk, when I returned back to Norman's office he was gone. Maybe I over looked him? I went out again, I saw him talking to a journalist. They where probably discussing about the card shark imposter.
Maybe I should go examine his files, after all I am trying to impress him. I went back into his office.
"Now where would an FBI agent hide his case files?"
Minutes passed by, still no documents found.
"Dammit where the hell are they?"
"Adhem."
I quickly turned around to spot Norman at the door with his arms crossed. I slowly stepped back bumping into his desk.
"Shit! I can explain!"
"I'm pretty sure you can."
He walks past me then grabs his gear.
"Anyways, we can discuss later, for now we track down this killer."
I followed him out the door. We both headed toward his car, I was obviously the first to get in as this was my first time going to a crime scene to gather clues. But Norman on the other hand was not eager, he seemed agitated with the case. I wanted to ask him if he was okay, but from telling how the situation was, it was better to keep my mouth shut, better safe then sorry. Finally we reach the crime scene, Norman still refusing to talk to me, maybe now Is my chance.
"Hey um Norm-"
"Okay, when we go in, don't touch anything unless I give the say so. I need the analyze the evidence first."
"Yes sir."
Maybe it was too soon to ask if the case bothered him. Right now we need to track down this imposter. I got out the car and did as I was told, stay put and don't touch anything. Sure it was a simple task but yet it was difficult. I wanted to put myself out there like all the other officers on the field. It bothered me that I was not much help to the case at the moment. Suddenly, an officer calls me over to the field.
"Hey you girl!"
My head jerked up.
"Come over here and be of use to us."
I walked over toward the officer, he was a taller male with a more muscular build. Why would a tough guy like him need me.
"We need you to hold this."
He hands me a metal box with a chunk of metal dangling over the edge.
"Go walk around with this box, if it rings let me know, I need to go settle some things with another officer, I'll be right back."
"Oh um sure."
"Good."
Then the big tough officer leaves just like that. Out of all the things to do, I get stuck with this boring task but still, I'm not disobeying my orders right? I walk around the court yard for several minutes dreading for normans arrival, I'd really hate to get yelled at but, he didn't seem like an aggressive type. The officer comes back.
"Thanks girl"
He takes the metal device from my hands then leaves, weird. Minutes later Norman shows up.
"I found clues for this case, I'll need to go back to my office asap for future more examination."
We both headed toward his car moments later face to face with the road again, soon the silence re awakens. My eyes drifted off into the blurred horizon. Today sucked, the hype no longer exisited. The next morning, I headed toward normans office, a cold coffee crated in my bland hands. I enter the room to find norman working again. There was no need for formality today. I handed him the iced coffee with a scroffed smile. This was my friendly way of asking. Let's be friends.
Norman smiled softly just before accepting my token of friendship.
"Thank you."
"No problem."