Prologue

Story Formerly Titled "Some Things are Meant to Endure"

A/N: I will only post a single disclaimer, and it is this: This story is based almost solely on Peter Jackson's Film versions of the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, though I have drawn some inspiration and information (as I saw fit) from the work of the masterful Tolkien. So if something is 'wrong', don't flame please; I am not aiming for canon, but enjoyment.

I only own my tweaks and my characters. If they weren't in the movies (or in some cases the books) I made them up. Additionally, this story is posted on Fanfiction. net as well under the same title and pen- name.

***

Regarding 'Daughter of Mirkwood' and my 'Daughters of Middle Earth' Series:

(A/N added: 04/27/20)

So, I've been giving this a lot of thought - and I mean a lot, since I actually laid awake for a long while last night with this - and I do think that, ultimately, I'm going to end up revisiting 'Daughter of Mirkwood' and giving it a bit of an update and (slight) revision. Here's why: I wrote it a while ago. As in, I finished writing it and first started posting it back in 2012. I mean, Aeslin's mom was alive in that earliest version... Now, since then, I did go back and adjust it to account for some details that came out with the second two Hobbit movies that were just too perfect (and relevant) to pass up. 

Now however, as I'm diving in to the story of Thranduil and my OC for Aeslin and Legolas' mother and starting to think more seriously about my plans for Elrohir and Elladan getting OCs of their own - and especially as I am (finally) getting down into the real nitty-gritty of nailing down a complete and cohesive timeline of events and intersections for the films as well as my fics - I'm realizing that, in many ways, DoM kind of needs to be, er, fixed. For one, I admittedly used a lot of book canon series of events at the time to build Aeslin's story around, not accounting for some of the shifts in the films properly - like not completely integrating some of the shifts in timeline that affect *all* the movies, not just The Hobbit ones - that has made some bits problematic in retrospect. And now that it's part of a larger story-verse? Those small issues that I've just waved off in the past are coming back to bite me.

Not to mention, now that I've got this timeline sitting in front of me, a lot of Aeslin's story actually doesn't *fit* as well as I'd roughly muddled when I first wrote it. I didn't actually take the time back then to really sit down and figure out where precisely the events in her story fit in the wider universe, using generalities on the passage of time along with a smattering of movie- and book-canon to sort of wedge it into place. Which, as I'm sure you can all imagine, I am less than satisfied with looking back. So one thing I'll definitely be adjusting is her timeline. Making it consistent with the rest of the series and making sure Aeslin and the events of her life are placed properly within the larger world her story initiated. Additionally, I've got new characters inserting themselves into the universe on me...and Aeslin's story just doesn't reflect that in it's current state. Again, for example: Elladan and Elrohir's developing OCs. At *least* one of them - probably both - would be someone Aeslin would undoubtedly know, so once their stories get written, their absences from DoM - even if only in passing - would end up being rather jarring omissions.

Of course, if anyone else wants to weigh in, I definitely encourage you to shoot me a PM! I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts!

Overall, Aeslin's story and who she is will be staying the same. That I promise. I'll just be changing and/or adding some continuity-related details, timing, and perhaps adjusting some sequence of events. Not to mention, it'll likely be a long way off. At the very least, Lasbereth and Thranduil's story will need to be completed and probably the stories for the Rivendell Twins' as well before I can realistically do the job right.

And there you have it. A lovely little essay for you all. ;P
I truly want to thank each and every one of you who has read DoM and it's companion DoR and to those of you who have been so liberal in your encouragement of not only them both but also of the stories that I've got still to come. The desire to make this series the best it can be for you all is a big part of why I want to do this. You're all wonderful and amazing and so wonderfully supportive. Thank you!

I can't wait until I can share everything that I've got coming with you all!

Happy Reading, lovelies!

***

Prologue

The carnage; the pure, unadulterated carnage. It was shocking and nauseating. It was horrible and repulsive and beyond anything she could have ever imagined. Nothing in her extensive training as a healer could have prepared her for this. It was an abomination. It wounded her deeply to see and feel so much death, especially when her efforts to staunch the loss of life seemed to make little difference. She couldn't think anymore, she just acted. Her slender hands flew over gaping wounds and her voice wove incessant incantations of healing. But no matter what she did, few looked like they would survive the night, and many died under her touch despite her efforts to save them. Several times over the last traumatic day and night she felt gentle yet persistent hands try to pull her away while familiar and unfamiliar voices alike urged her to rest.

However, it didn't matter anymore that her hands were stained red from the blood of dozens, even hundreds of nameless men, nor did it matter that her voice was beginning to grow hoarse from the endless stream of words coming from her lips. She didn't feel tired. She didn't even feel the horror anymore. She didn't feel anything. She was numb. This is what she had trained to do, and so she continued to fight a battle that was equally as desperate as one fought with arrows and swords. It was all she could do now.

It was all she had left to offer. 

A/N: Thanks for reading!

Don't forget to vote and comment! I'd love to hear what you thought!