Chapter 13

Confrontation

Legolas led her directly to Thranduil's private rooms, walking past the King's honour guards and into the dim quarters without hesitation. It was a moment's pause that Aeslin followed, her anxiety pulsing in her chest. Haldir had agreed to wait behind to give the siblings some much needed time with their father. She could tell from the look on his face when they had parted that he was far from happy, but that he knew it was necessary. That he did not trust the King was evident to everyone, and neither Aeslin nor Legolas could blame him.

The King of Mirkwood was not pleased to be interrupted in such a manner. He leaned languidly back in his seat, his easy posture belying the air of impatience about him.

"I trust you have a good reason for this disturbance, my son." He looked up, surveying Aeslin in one quick glance. Legolas appeared unfazed but his father's terse greeting, if it was even to be called that.

"You invited my sister to return to Mirkwood, and have yet to truly speak with her. I think it is high time you do so, Father." The King of Mirkwood stood, pulling himself up to his full height.

"Oh? And why is that?"

"Because I did not return in order to be ignored, Father. Am I not your daughter? Do I not deserve your courtesy?" Aeslin's voice was quiet, but her irritation bled through her calm demeanor. Thranduil's cold gaze came to rest upon his daughter. He made a sound that sounded oddly like a sarcastic laugh.

"Courtesy? After the courtesy you have shown me?" She clenched her jaw, her eyes flickering with ire at his response. "To marry without my blessing is no show of courtesy on your part."

"Then you should not have banished me from my home, nor given me away as a ward when there was no plausible excuse to keep me away any longer." The words were out of Aeslin's mouth before she could stop them. Thranduil's face darkened. Legolas tried to intercede, to calm them, but he was largely ignored.

"That was for your own protection."

"My protection. Yes, I have heard that before. Let me tell you this, Father, I did not feel so protected, not when I discovered you lied to me." Thranduil looked as if she had slapped him. "'When you complete your training?' That was never the intention, was it? That I wished to learn the arts of healing was convenient. You cannot deny that."

"I must admit, there were times I doubted my decision to send you to Rivendell. Now I can see the cost. You have changed since you left, Aeslin. You were never like this; obstinate, ungrateful." He was nearly sneering as he spoke, though something flickered in his eyes that Aeslin couldn't quite place. The hurt and pain the Mirkwood Princess had been suppressing for centuries and trying to let go of was suddenly fanned to life once again. In a corner of her mind she could feel Haldir responding to her distress, anxiety beginning to bloom in him.

"Ungrateful? I have only ever done what you asked!" The anger in her voice broke, revealing the heartbreak that only her husband had known lingered. The depth of the grief in her voice shook even Legolas, who had already known of her suffering at being sent so far from home. Thranduil watched her silently, the first true expression of sorrow she had ever seen from him casting a shadow on his features. She was close to tears as she continued, but she never dropped her father's gaze.

"My life belongs to me, now. I will not have you dictate where I am to live or whom to love. I have only ever tried to please you, Father. I only ever wanted to make you happy, but all that led to was doubt in myself and grief at the lack interest you had shown me. So I decided to make myself happy. I followed my heart, and my heart led me to Lorien, a place of brightness and light. Were it not for my brother, I would never have come back." It was now bitterness that clouded her voice, bitterness and resolve.