1 - Groups

His name is Adam. I have a dream about him. Wish we were friends; I got gym class in half an hour. Oh, how he rock in Reeboks and white socks. But he doesn't know who I am. And he doesn't give a damn about me.

'Cause I'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby.

And that's me -- Anthony Chaos, well-known weirdo all through the school. But hey, I can deal. I mean, I've done pretty well the past two years, right? How hard can a couple more really be?

Maybe I should explain a bit more about my situation. Again, I'm Anthony Chaos. I am a junior in high school. And I've been an outcast here since I was a freshman, when I first moved here. I have four good friends, one of which is no longer a student, but we all live together. A little weird, right? Well, actually, really weird, according to all of the student body.

Anyway, yes, I live with my three best friends, who all happen to be rather unpopular at school. But not like I am. At least other people talk to them. Steven is the person I'm closest to. I tell him everything, and he never ceases to be here when I need him to be. Then there's Anthony, who we refer to more commonly as Galm. He's the serious type among us, if I'm honest. Keeps us on track, at least. And then there's John, who has a clumsy and stupid nature, but we love him anyway. Tom would usually be included, but he graduated last year. He does live with us, but most of the time he's out working.

We all have nicknames for each other, yet another reason why we're so isolated. I'm Chilled, Steven is Ze, Anthony is Galm (obviously), and John is Smarty. Tom is just, well, Tom. We spend a lot of our free time playing video games and such. We love games. If there's anything we love more than games, I'd be surprised to hear it. Except maybe food.

Of course, and then there are our...relationships. It's common knowledge at school by this point that if we were an actually family, we would be disgustingly incestual. But we aren't related, so it doesn't matter. But because we live together, that's how people see it. Tom and Smarty are together. Ze and Galm are together. Smarty and Galm were once a thing. In fact, Smarty goes between them a lot, unsure of his feelings. For now, Galm has Ze, but Ze is pretty nonchalant about Galm and Smarty still being into each other. And then there's me. The loner. You'd think you'd be more accepted as being the one guy not in love with whoever you're living with, but it makes me even more alienated, simply because I continue hanging out with them. And maybe that I, too, am into guys. But that's a given, isn't it?

This whole setup has never been a big problem until recently, though. Because, as of a few months ago, I have developed the one crush that I always knew I shouldn't.

I have a crush on Adam Montoya.

Adam Montoya is my polar opposite, no doubt. He's popular. He's handsome. He's funny. He's, well, everything that I wish I was. No, I take that back. He's everything everyone else wishes I was. Because being me isn't enough, they want me to be normal, so they can actually talk to me. But if they don't wanna talk, then fine with me.

Funny thing is, Adam's love for video games rivals my own. His intelligence, too. We aren't geniuses, but we are at the top of our classes. It's always good to find someone with a little brain to talk to, but of course, the moment I find someone with that plus a love for video games, he has to be popular, out of reach. All in all, I'm invisible to him. He doesn't care about me, probably never notices me.

Today is just like any other day. I sit in my first period class, a nondescript Math class. Well, Senior Finite, but it isn't like it's a hard class. This coming from one of the smart guys of school, I guess that may be less than accurate. I sit in my desk, in the second row from the front of the room. My eyes are trained on the book resting open on my desk, a simple read. Hell, I don't know the name of the thing. It's cheesy and romantic, and I'm pretty sure I've been reading the same kissing scene for the past three minutes while I wait for the bell. I shut the book with a sigh and rest my chin on the palm of my hand, adjusting my red Mario hat -- yet another reason for insults -- as I do. People are filing into the room, now that there is about a minute left before class starts.