3 - Girlfriend

His girlfriend's a bitch, and she never shuts her mouth. And she'd simply kick my ass if she found me out. She lives on my block, and struts around in striped socks. But she doesn't know who I am. And she doesn't give a damn about me.

'Cause I'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby.

I make it to my English class surprisingly on time. My legs don't like cooperating after the 800-metres of running they suffered. I slide into my desk just as the bell rings, and I can feel eyes on me. But they don't leave when I turn around to acknowledge them, as per the usual. They continue to stare. Okay, come on. They're used to me by now, aren't they? My hair is covered by my red Mario hat, as always. I wear the same plain shirt and pants and shoes as always. I keep my eyes downcast, and I don't speak. I don't really smile. I mean, everything is the same with me today. So what's with all the damn--

Oh.

I look to my left to see the most attractive guy in class being the true reason for the stares. Adam is sitting on his desk top, Cathy in front of him. I don't understand what he can see-- okay, maybe I can. She has long dark hair and a pretty, perect complexion and nice eyes behind a pair of glasses that suit her very well. It's just the needy whine that renders her unattractive. She never shuts up, and I simply can't stand even being in the same room as her.

But, of course, she's dating Adam.

I mean, really, this fact should not hurt as much as it does sometimes. I mean, it confirms he's straight, right?

He could be bisexual.

Uh. Since when did I have a voice in my head?

Hey, you just ignore me.

Yeah, for good reason. Shut up, I don't need you giving me hope.

You're being a pessimest.

No, I'm being realistic.

I decide to stop being so weird and quite talking to the voice that sounds like me but definitely isn't. Instead, I tune into Cathy and Adam's conversation.

"Adaaaam!" Oh, there it is. The all-time famous whine. I swear, if she opens her mouth again... I wonder briefly if the mechanical pencil in my hand would be a sufficient weapon...

"Yes, Cathy?" Now that voice, I wouldn't mind hearing again... I mentally sigh and smack my face light with the palm of my hand.

"Adam, look at me!"

"Not now, Cathy, I want to talk to Cha--"

"But, Adaaaam, I'm your girlfriend!"

"I know, Cathy, but sometimes I like to talk to other peop--"

"Don't you love me, Adam?"

"Of course I do, Cathy, I just--"

"Then look at me!" It is now that I decide to turn to witness Adam leaning around Cathy, doing a very convincing impression of a three-year-old having a temper tantrum; complete with balled-up fists and stomping feet. I scowl as I see the annoying girl, but then my eyes land on a far sweeter sight: Adam Montoya's charming smile.

He hates me, remember? I think to my stupid heart, but I smile at him anyway.

"Ah, Chaos, I was wondering if--"

"Adaaam, don't ignore me when I'm talking to you!"

Oh, I hate this girl.

"Come on, Cathy, I'm trying to talk to--"