Chapter Three

A couple of days later, Hershel and I deemed Carl fit enough to be up and moving about, helping with light chores around the campsite. Lori and I were with him feeding the chickens and we were both watching him carefully and he threw the seed at the expectant birds. He looked up at the two of us both looking at him and rolled his eyes.

"You don't have to worry y'know." He complained and I chuckled at his typical boy behaviour.

"It's my job." Lori replied, tossing a bit of feed to the chickens.

"No it's not. You're a housewife." He smiled at him mom and I let out a loud laugh this time. Lori's face turned to one of shock and I kept laughing.

"Yeah? Do you see my house anywhere you little punk?" Lori joked, throwing feed and Carl and laughing.

"Housewife. Do you believe that." She muttered to me and I wiped away tears of laughter and shook my head.

We finished up feeding the chickens, putting everything away and heading back towards the campsite. I waved good morning to Dale and T-Dog who were setting some things up at the RV and grabbed a peach from the bucket Glenn was holding as he walked by me.

"I'm gonna go check on the other patient" I said to Lori and made my way over to Daryl's tent. We'd moved him back to the campsite but he was under strict orders from me to stay as rested as he could, which was in turn, driving him crazy.

I was almost at his tent when I noticed Andrea walk out of it and I jogged towards it, worrying that Daryl would be flipping out at her for shooting him in the head. Just as I got to the tent I could hear him telling her that they were good she was about to leave the tent when he called her back.

"Shoot me again, you best pray I'm dead." I heard him say to her and Andrea laughed a little, nodding her head and smiling at me as she passed. I ducked my head down so I could enter his tent and watched him as he poked holes through the tent wall with one of his arrows.

"Don't that let bugs in?" I questioned, sitting on the stool that was across from his bed.

"I'm fuckin' bored." He complained, throwing his arm over his eyes.

"Tell me about yourself?" I questioned. He removed his arm and looked through his squinted eyes at me.

"Like...your family y'know...before everything happened." I pressed.

"Had a brother Merle." He grunted.

"Had?"

"Rick and the rest of them left him on a goddam rooftop in Atlanta. Went back to get 'im and the bastard had cut his own hand off and disappeared. He was a bastard, drug dealer but he was my bro." he said and I looked at him sadly.

"I'm sorry." I said to him and he just grunted.

"Whatever."

He rolled around to the other side of his bed so his back was facing me and I rolled my eyes, getting up to leave the tent. I wandered about the campsite and noticed Glenn and Lori talking intently about something before Glenn walked away and Lori sat down, her head in her hands. I immediately went over to her and sat with her.

"Everything okay Lori?" I asked her quietly and she looked up at me with tears in her eyes.

"Georgia, what did you study in med school?" she questioned. I was confused but I replied anyway.

"Umm...a bit of everything really, I was studying to be a surgeon. A few months in cardio, general, paeds..." I listed off a few of the specialties I was the most interested in.