Chapter 5

A/N: Just a warning, there is a trigger topic mentioned in this chapter. It is in no way graphic and is literally a mention only, but if mention of rape is troubling for you, be warned.

Three still figures sat on the roof of the Diner as the night wore on. Sometime, midnight came and went, inconspicuously marking the beginning of Christmas day; something that Bob hadn't failed to make a smart comment about. Tessa sat by herself, silently surveying the terrain from the back of the diner. Like Michael, she knew what was likely coming, but she wasn't afraid, not yet, anyway. She figured when the moment arrived she would be, but for now the world seemed almost normal. Mere hours earlier, she'd held Michael in her arms, pretending that this wasn't happening. Now, he was downstairs, helping to deliver mankind's last hope for survival.

She knew she should be right there beside him, but Tessa couldn't force herself to move from her perch on the edge of the roof. The memories that had been dredged up made that impossible. She had nearly forgotten certain aspects of her life before, like her family. The possessed boy downstairs had woken those memories almost painfully. His soft-looking blonde hair and rounded face brought to the fore memories of beloved nieces and nephews, as well as the jealous desire to hold a child that was her own. A desire that had been more powerful than anything she had experienced in her short life to that point. On the other side, the boy's scornful brown eyes had served to remind her of crushing betrayal and heartbreak.

That dream of her own child had been crushed the same time her mortal life was snuffed out. Truthfully, she didn't even know if angels could bear children; she'd never thought to find out. The memories of wanting a child of her own had been buried along with many of the memories of her life before. The instant they returned to her conscious thoughts, she couldn't even bear to look at Charlie anymore. The pain was too great. So now she sat on a rooftop in one of the most inhospitable places she'd ever been while her lover delivered another woman's unwanted baby. Oh, the cruel irony.

She looked up at the sound of soft footsteps approaching behind her. Sighing, she turned slightly, just enough to see Bob standing a few feet from her. He cleared his throat, but her gaze didn't waver. She was far past caring about her past philosophies about men. All she wanted now was for her torturous memories to give her a moment's peace. At the moment, the best way to accomplish that was to engage in conversation.

"Something on your mind?" Bob coughed a little, not quite expecting her to speak first. Since she'd arrived, the angel had only really talked to Michael, if you didn't count the odd word here and there. The owner of Paradise Falls cleared his throat again.

"That was really somethin', the way you went to help Audrey. I've never seen anyone fight like that." Tessa felt the corner of her mouth quirk a little as she looked back out across the desert.

"Thank you. It is what I do, though. I'm a soldier, fighting is what I am." Bob seemed a little disconcerted by this. He shuffled a bit.

"You don't like us very much, do you?" It was simple statement, one that Tessa had been expecting at some point. She had, after all, made no secret of it. She took a deep breath.

"You, personally, I don't mind to much; the crustiness is a little trying, as is the skepticism. The others here, I like them well enough, I suppose. It's mankind in general that I'm not fond of."

"This might come off as a bit rude, but isn't that the same attitude that 'God' has at the moment." Tessa thought for a moment, taking in the man's words, disregarding his lingering disbelief. In a way he was right; she had lost faith in humanity a long time ago, at least, she thought she had. Now—

"I suppose. But I have been trying. Sometimes it's hard to escape one's past. Nevertheless, I am trying." She fixed him with another stare, this time watching him digest what she said. Nodding, he returned to Jeep's side, satisfied with her answers, something resolving itself in his eyes. Tessa couldn't help but smile faintly. Bob was yet another flawed soul who was desperately trying to find the light again. Only he was, ironically enough, looking for something to believe in.