Chapter 13

I heard a sound. Like something moved or somebody breathed. My heartbeat accelerated as the realization dawned on me that I wasn't alone. My fingers brushed against the light switch and just as I turned it on, I heard a loud blast followed by an equally loud chorus of "Happy Birthday!"

My eyes flew open as I woke up with a start, my heart racing faster than a million miles an hour. The same dream. The one with numerous people wishing me happy birthday. I had seen that dream before. And the faces of the people were same. Many, many faces and among them, the motherly woman, the beautiful redhead and of course, the blue eyed enigma.

I sat up in my bed, trying to rub the sleep off my eyes enough to see the time. It was 2 AM. I sighed. Lately, these kinds of dreams were plaguing me almost every night and I was completely stumped as to why.

I sighed as I ran a hand through my hair. My eyes fell on the note resting on the nightstand beside me. I cringed. It was that note.

"Kat, it's probably just a prank." Jax had said, "It's most likely not even meant for you."

I had just nodded but instead of throwing the note away, I had folded it up and dropped it in my pocket for closer inspection later.

Picking it up now, I turned it over in my hands. "Pretty in white, dainty as dew. Wherever you go, I'll be watching you." A shiver ran down my spine as I read the words again.

I shook my head as I pushed it into a drawer of the nightstand, "Jax is right. It's probably not even meant for me."

I lied down back in the bed and started blankly staring at the ceiling. I started wracking my brain, as if I would suddenly stumble upon some hidden solitary confines that would return my lost memory back to me. But of course, no such luck.

My eyes slowly got droopier as sleep overtook me again.

.........................

"How was I supposed to know?" Matt whisper-shouted into his phone.

I quirked a brow. I had just woken up and after taking a shower and getting dressed, was halfway down the stairs, when I saw Matt pacing back and forth in the living room, his phone pressed to his ear, looking very tense.

"I didn't know. I told you she didn't tell me beforehand." Matt spoke, sounding exasperated. He waited for whoever was on the other end to speak before he replied, "No, I haven't met him. I have seen him around but never really met him."

I blinked a couple of times. Whoever he was talking to was none of my business so I shouldn't eavesdrop. So I went down and decided to make my presence known.

"Uh, Matt?" I said.

As soon as his eyes fell on me, he jerked a little bit, spoke something very lowly into his phone and quickly slid it back into his pocket. Weird.

"Kat! You're up." he said, scratching the back of his head.

I rolled my eyes as I took out orange juice from the refrigerator, "Looks like it."

"Jeez, what crawled up your pants?"

I ignored him as I poured the juice into a glass for myself and asked, "Who were you talking to?"

"No one!" he blurted, then after a pause, said, "Uh, to my boss. He was talking about a news story I screwed up."

I shrugged. Like I said, none of my business.

"So," he began as he took a seat beside me, "About that note you got yesterday."

When Jax had dropped me home, I had showed the note to Matt and he had said the exact same thing Jax had.