Chapter 18

"Shit"I curse when I realize the elevator of my apartment is still out of order. After a long day at work, taking the stairs up to my 4th storey apartment was something I really wasn't looking forward to.

"Why is that elevator so hell bent on making me lose weight!?" I mutter frustratedly as I slowly trudge up the stairs. I unlock my apartment door and lock it once I'm inside. Dropping my purse on the couch, I kick off my heels and go to my bedroom.

Suddenly, I hear a shuffling noise from the living room. I stop dead in my tracks and strain to listen. Nothing. "Must have been my imagination." I shrugged.

I quickly undress and change into my bathrobe, my intentions of taking a long, hot, refreshing shower. I walk towards the bathroom. What happens next is in a span of only a few seconds.

I hear footsteps rushing behind me. But when I turn around, it is just in time for whoever it is to bring whatever is in their hand down on my head, hard.

A dull pain starts in the top of my head and radiates in my entire skull. Dots start to fly around my vision as everything goes darker and darker. I finally fall to the ground, just vaguely aware of a figure standing over me, before blacking out.

I woke up with a tremendous jolt, my entire body shuddering at what I just saw. My breathing was very shallow and my eyes were very wide, a few stray tears from them leaking down onto my cheeks.

I clutched my chest, trying to calm down my adrenaline pumped body. "Okay, calm down. Just breathe." I whispered to myself, "Breathe. In through the nose, out through the mouth."

When I've finally calmed down enough to think rationally, I sighed. The bedside clock said it was 3 AM. "Oh, God..." I whispered as it finally set in what I had just dreamt, "Oh, my God..."

My heartbeat started to pick up again. The figure I had seen standing over me must have been......the attacker. The reason I had start my life again. It wasn't a dream, after all. It was a recollection.

But contrary to what I had thought, recalling even this slight bit of information raised up more questions than it answered. The biggest one was why the hell did I recall surroundings I didn't recognize? And why was I alone?

......................................

"So, you're saying you first received a note a week ago." Officer Briggs, a portly man in his forties, said.

"Yes." I replied, "Jax was with me."

"Yeah, it was my car we found the note in." Jax supplied.

Officer Briggs leaned back in his seat, taking a puff of his cigar, "And what exactly did this note say?"

I squirmed in my seat, "I don't really remember but it was something along the lines of 'I'll be watching you.', I think."

"You think?" he looks at me incredulously, "You don't have the note on your person right now?"

"Uh, no. I'm sorry officer but I threw it away because at the time I thought it was nothing."

"Hmm. Pray continue."

I sighed, "Like I said, I have been feeling like somebody is following me since about a month ago. But it was 2 nights ago when somebody killed my cat. Scratch that, slaughtered him." I shuddered.

"There was this note," Jax said, digging in his pockets and producing the note, "I found it lying beside Felix."

"Felix was my cat." I said.

Officer Briggs exhaled his cigar smoke and took the note from Jax, examining it with his ferret like eyes. After reading it over and over, he finally looked up at the both of us. "Look miss Winters, I understand your concern about being stalked but you should understand that we don't have enough to really do anything."