Chapter 6

Kylee had been at the Institute for about two weeks now and was slowly settling in. She had been assigned classes to her surprise. She wondered why they would bother giving them regular school type classes at all, but when she asked Nick he told her it was to prepare them for the real world if they so chose to move out after they turned eighteen. It was another shock to find out that indeed almost half of the students would eventually make that break and move on.

That night was Kylee's turn to help prepare dinner so she headed down to the kitchen. When she walked in she suddenly felt shy. She had never been allowed near the stove at any of her foster homes so wondered how she would do now realizing she would be expected to deal with it. Noticing a very large man in the middle of the room telling everyone else what to do Kylee became nervous. She hadn't had to deal with any of the "teachers" too closely much less a male one. It scared her because she didn't know what would happen if she messed up.

Just as she was debating on turning around to leave and deal with the consequences later she heard, "Well you must be miss Kylee. I've been waiting to meet you. I hear you have some more extreme powers than most we've dealt with so far, is that true?" If it hadn't been for him using her name she wouldn't even know he was talking to her because the man wasn't looking at her at all. Kylee considered that pretty rude but then she caught a sight of his face. It was all she could do not to scream. His entire face that she could see was covered in burn scars! Shuddering, Kylee wondered what happened to him. There was no way she would ever have the courage to ask him, but maybe she could ask Nick later she thought. "I guess so sir, but I don't have complete control over them." She saw the man smile. It reassured her that at least he seemed okay. 

She found out that she really not only enjoyed working in the kitchen but that she had a knack for it. Or at least that's what Victor told her. Victor was the Institution's chef and Kylee found him easy to be around unlike most adult men she normally came across. Once Victor realized how good Kylee was in the kitchen he put in a request the next day to have her be his student. Of course Mr. Albert the director was in shock because Victor had never asked to have a student before. He had a meeting with Nick first, then finally agreed that Kylee could be Victor's student. Nick went in search of Kylee to tell her the good news. He wasn't sure what to expect from her for a reaction because he didn't know her that well yet.

Nick knocked softly on Kylee's bedroom door and waited. Finally he heard her pad over to the door, opening it hesitantly. "Can I help you Nick?" He wasn't surprised that she knew it was him. "I just got out of a meeting with Mr. Albert and Victor and I have some news for you." Shock overcame her face even though she tried to hide it. "What would their meeting have to do with me?" she asked. Nick tried not to laugh, but couldn't hold back his smile. "Victor was asking if you could become his student in the kitchen because you have a knack for cooking and seem to enjoy it."

Kylee didn't know what to say. She did love being in the kitchen more than anything else but had no idea that Victor even took on students. Nick must have read her mind on that because he chuckled. "No, I have never known Victor to ask for a student before. I suppose this is why it's so surprising to everyone. I think you will have fun though as well as doing a great job too." Kylee felt like blushing. "Thanks Nick."

Nick walked with Kylee down to the kitchen for her first official class with Victor. He wished that he could stay and see how she did but he had a class to get to himself. Not that it was any of the normal classes, but still it was important for him to be there.

Of all her classes there-after Kylee was most eager to get to the kitchen with Victor. She found herself relaxing there. She really loved making different dishes for everyone to eat. Her absolute favorite thing was the desserts, but she enjoyed the main dishes as well. 

Another two days passed before Kylee was asked to come into Mr. Albert's office. She was scared trying to figure out what she could have done wrong and coming up with nothing. She very nervously lifted her hand at the door to knock when it was suddenly opened in front of her. A man she had never met before was there just inside. "Kylee, please come in dear." he told her. She eyed him warily but entered the room anyhow. 

Mr. Albert was behind his desk as usual. He looked up when Kylee walked over and sat in a chair. "Kylee this is Stuart he will be a new teacher here." Kylee couldn't understand why she needed to know this but if he thought she did then oh well. "What is it that he will be teaching sir?" she questioned Mr. Albert. She was trying to forget that the scary man Stuart was still in the room. He was intimidating to her and she hoped that she wouldn't be required to take his class whatever that would be. Mr. Albert smiled. "Stuart will be teaching telekinesis." Kylee's heart dropped realizing that she might be in his class after all. "Am I required to take that class?" she asked hesitatingly. Mr. Albert just nodded his answer, making Kylee inwardly sigh.

It was Nick who picked up on her distress. "What's wrong Kylee?" he questioned her using his own projected thoughts. She told him using just her thoughts. Nick wasn't sure why she was so outwardly scared of this new class but knew he needed to find out. If Kylee was scared then something was wrong, he thought. He had come to think of her as like his kid sister, someone he needed to look out for. He really did care for this girl which surprised him. 

Kylee was getting ready to leave the office when Stuart stopped her in her tracks. "I heard that you are also pyrokinetic, is this truth?" Kylee had no idea what that word meant. She called for Nick figuring he would know. Of course he didn't let her down. "Of course Kylee, pyrokinetic is one of your other talents. Pyro means fire." She was confused until he said that. "OH!" she exclaimed, "Thanks Nick. I owe you." He told her it was not big deal and he was happy to help her with anything she had questions about. 

She turned to look back at Stuart. Realizing she couldn't bring herself to look him in the eye, she looked at his right shoulder instead. "Yes sir that is correct." She noticed the shock that came over him then. She almost smiled knowing she had pulled something over him. She didn't trust this man, but he would be her teacher so she had to deal with him.