Chapter 21

Annie woke to an unsettling sour in the pit of her stomach. Something is not right. She pulled her covers off and looked out the window, half-expecting snow so she could blame it on the cold. No snow. This is odd. Annie checked her phone for messages or missed calls. Nope. Nada. Zip. Why can't she shake this uneasy feeling off, like something bad happened without her knowledge.

***

"Slow it down. Angie, come back to bed. Rest your arms and rest your legs," Kayne sang quietly, couch turned to face the glass window, his back to a restless Josh. "Act like you've been here before, smile less and dress up some more."

"Will you not?!" Josh exclaimed in frustration. Kayne stopped mid-strum and sighed. Josh shuffled over to the couch in his white standard hospital slippers. "You know what I meant," he said. Kayne put his guitar back on its stand. "No, I don't," he answered.

"What is your problem anyway?" Kayne looked up at Josh. Just two nights ago they were laughing, tickling each other, happy. It's hard to even make eye contact now. Ever since Kayne told Josh's dad and the doctor about Josh's condition, Josh gave him the cold shoulder. Josh's silence answered him.

Kayne nodded, "Fine. Don't talk to me." He pushed past him and out their room. Kayne hobbled wearily down the hall, grabbing a walking stick from the nearest counter to prop himself up. Tears were threatening to fall but he wouldn't let it. He hasn't cried in forever. He wasn't going to waste it on Josh. 

But you miss talking to him. He blocked that thought from surfacing again. No, I don't miss talking to him. It's only been two days. 

"Kayne!" His dad called from across the corridor. "Dad? Dad!" He broke into a grin. 

"Heya, Kayne. Why didn't you put your leg on?" He gestured to the walking stick. "I..I forgot to," Kayne shrugged. "Why are you here? They let you off early?"

"I took the afternoon off. I wanted to see my son," his father said.

***

"Mom, did Josh call?" Annie asked her mother who was baking some sort of wizardry in the kitchen. "No, why?" her mother asked. "I don't know. I feel weird," Annie answered. She grabbed a muffin off the plate and unwrapped it nervously. "Is it that time of the month again?" her mother smiled knowingly.

"No, it's not," she rolled her eyes. "When can we drive out to see Josh?" she asked, mouth full of cinnamon apple. "School's starting. Maybe next week, ok?" 

"But that's in forever! Come on, mom," Annie pleaded. 

"I don't have time-" The phone ringing cut her off mid-sentence. Annie rushed to get the phone. "Hello?"

***

"Dad! What are you saying?! Calm down!" Josh shouted into the phone, his father had called two minutes ago but the words he spoke were gibberish. "Dad?" Josh softened when he heard sniffling. He froze when his father finally got the words out. "W-what time?" He muttered.

Josh nodded. And his heart fell into the bottom of the pit of his stomach. It was a black hole, a supernova. The sound of Kayne walking in didn't snap him out of shock. Not even when Kayne shook him hard enough to make him vomit.

***

Josh hurried down the stairs. Outside, the fireworks were starting. It was his favourite day of the year, apart from Christmas. "Josh! Josh! Dad let me hold the sparklers! Lookit me," Connor giggled, waving the sparklers gently in a loop. "I want one too," Josh told his dad. His mother brought the red velvet cupcakes out and set it on the bench, next to the new ball Amanda's parents had gotten him. "I'll go invite Annie over," his mother said, kissing his dad on the cheek before she crossed over to the Silverman's residence.

"I want another," Connor said, smiling brighter than the fireworks on Fourth of July.

***

Kayne bid his dad goodbye, sighing as usual when the door closed behind him. He turned to look at Josh. He hasn't gotten out of bed since noon, wouldn't even touch his food. But worst of all, he wouldn't tell him what had happened. No matter how much he poked and prodded and shouted, Josh only stared at him blankly before closing his eyes and pulling the covers over his head.

He called Josh's father's cell but it was on voicemail. His mother's and Annie's too. Kayne slumped back against the headboard. He heard shuffling and the door closing again. Josh left.

*****************************************************************************************

A/N: Chapter 21, finally. I hope you enjoyed this one. I decided to end it with a cliff-hanger because... reasons. ;) Do comment and vote, if you're still around. Thank you.

- A