Chapter 5

Anna was waiting for us in the garage when we arrived at Aiden’s house. I climbed out of the car and was met by her warm embrace. She didn’t say anything; instead, she filled me with that amazing peace and serenity she had given me earlier. This time, however, I did not freak out; I welcomed it into my body. The feeling was almost indescribable. It was like the way I felt around Aiden, but on steroids.

Once I was completely content, Anna broke our embrace. My legs started to buckle. I felt like I had been given drugs and was well on my way to La La Land. Aiden scooped me up in his arms before I hit the floor.

“Oops,” Anna said, giggling. “I guess I got a little carried away.”

I tried to say that I had never felt better, but what came out was slurred. I guess maybe she did go a bit overboard, but I wasn’t complaining.

Aiden carried me up the stairs and laid me down on the sofa. He propped me up with a mountain of cushions, which I slid down from so that my head was lying directly on the sofa.

I could barely keep my eyes open, so I closed them and tried desperately to remain conscious.

My phone started to ring. There was no way I was getting up to answer the thing. It stopped ringing a second later, followed by Aiden saying, “Hi, Nikki.”

Crap. Mum was going to kill me for not resting at home, but at the moment, I was too dazed to care.

I tried desperately to stay awake long enough to hear the rest of the conversation. However, whatever it was that Anna had done to me was too much for me to fight, and I quickly drifted off to sleep.

***

“Hey, sleepyhead,” Aiden said as he tucked a few strands of my hair behind my ear.

“Hi,” I whispered, gazing up into his hypnotic green eyes. I was still feeling amazing from whatever Anna had done to me, and all those loving feelings were heading his way.

His perfect lips parted into a smile, filling my body with even more desire.

A not-so-discreet clearing of the throat came from across the room. I looked over to find Anna sitting across from me on the other side of the sofa, holding back a smirk.

Normally, I would have died from embarrassment knowing that my boyfriend’s mother knew what I was planning to do with her son, but I was still too much in zen mode to care. I did, however, manage to stop any further thoughts on that subject.

Pulling myself up so that I was once again leaning against the mountain of cushions, I looked out of the window to find darkness had set in. It was pitch black outside, bar the twinkling lights coming from the houses on the other side of the seaway.

An ever-so-slight panic flittered over me at the thought of the shit I would be in with my mum for not staying at home. A small laugh escaped my lips. If she only knew just how rested I really was. God, I had never been so relaxed in my entire life.

“Don’t worry about your mum. I told her that you didn’t want to be alone today, and Anna volunteered to keep you company, except she was waiting for a package to be delivered, so you came here instead,” Aiden explained.

It was actually a pretty good cover. I’m sure it made Mum feel guilty for leaving me, and grateful that I had been properly looked after.

“You’re not just a pretty face,” I said to Aiden, and caressed his cheek.

Aiden grabbed my hand, kissing it softly before placing it in his lap.

“Sorry to burst your happy bubble, but we have to talk about your vision,” Anna said, snapping me back to reality.