Chapter 6

My stomach twisted when I saw Chelsea walking up my driveway. It was dark, and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing outside my house. The last thing I remembered was falling asleep at Aiden’s house, wrapped in his arms.

Although most of her face was covered by her hoodie, I could still tell she was beaming. It was clear she’d been bitten by the love bug and was coming over to gloat. I made a mental note to ask Aiden what the hell happened between her and Ben—I had obviously missed something huge.

As I sat on the porch, waiting for her to get closer, I felt something was wrong. I wasn’t sure what exactly had my stomach doing flips, but the feeling was getting stronger by the second.

“Hurry up,” I yelled out to her. I wanted her to get inside and away from whatever it was that was making my skin crawl. Chelsea didn’t quicken her pace.

“Chelsea,” I called again, but it was as if she didn’t hear me.

Alarm bells were going off inside of me. Something was seriously wrong.

“Run!” I yelled to Chelsea, as I saw a man wearing something that resembled a ninja getup step out from a nearby bush.

“Chelsea!” I screamed. She continued plodding up the driveway, oblivious to my warnings.

What the hell was wrong with her? Maybe she was listening to her iPod. I started flapping my arms around, trying desperately to get her attention, but it was as if I wasn’t even there.

Despite the fact that I was yelling, the man continued to creep up on her. I couldn’t believe the nerve of the guy. He was seriously going to try something with a witness not only watching, but calling out to the whole neighbourhood to come see what all the commotion was about.

I looked around at all my neighbours’ houses. Not a single soul came out to see what was going on. Not even the nosy Mrs. Carson.

When I looked back, he was going for the attack. Chelsea let out a deafening scream as he tried to put a bag over her head.

Despite the confusion of why nobody seemed to acknowledge my existence, I knew I had to do something. I couldn’t live with myself if anything happened to Chelsea. Maybe my visions had been warning me of this very moment, and it was up to me to save her.

Without thinking of how I was actually going to save her, or what I was going to do if this psycho turned on me, I ran across the front yard and tried to tackle the guy. I had no self-defence experience, nor had I ever been in an actual fight, but I’d be damned if I was going to let him take her without even trying to save her.

As I sailed through the air in full-blown attack mode, I hoped the fact that I was some sort of super human would offer me some help in getting us both out of this situation. But I was wrong. I didn’t even have a chance.

Instead of ploughing straight into his chest like I had planned, I actually went straight through him and landed without a thud on the grass behind where he stood.

I looked around, trying to work out what had happened, and saw that he was dragging her off towards a van parked on the street.

My body started trembling as I pulled myself up onto my knees and watched my best friend being shoved into the van. And the worst part was, despite all my efforts, there wasn’t a thing I could do to save her.

I was trembling uncontrollably and within seconds, I blacked out.

The next thing I knew I was waking up. I was still trembling uncontrollably, but I was no longer kneeling on my front lawn. I was back in Aiden’s room, lying in his bed with his arms wrapped around me.