four

"I see that you are here in the ally, once again."

My eyes opened immediately as I heard your melodic voice fill my head.

This was the fifth time you found me here.

I kept on coming to the ally not because of my depression but because you would find me here.

But today, the reason why I came to the ally was because I was upset and tired and sad.

Things at home weren't going well for me. My father came home drunk again today. His drunken self took over his body and he beat my mother again. My mother was already suffering from bone cancer, so adding a bunch of bruises made her suffer more. I tried my best to protect her but sometimes, even I couldn't protect myself. If he was drunk enough, he would beat me too. That day, he threw a punch across my face and kicked my stomach and I fought back against him, as well.

My mother encouraged me to learn martial arts to be able to protect myself from my father. I learned a lot but it still wasn't enough to beat my father.

My mother loved my father. He didn't know it but my mom really did. She could never bring herself to leave him, no matter how many times he had beaten her. I can tell that she terribly wanted to fight back, but she only kept her head down to prevent anything worse from happening. What a sick and toxic love my mother has for him.

I hate him. He doesn't even know how much my mother was suffering. He didn't even care about us like how a normal father did. He broke my heart before anyone else did and that's the biggest heartbreak a person could ever receive - a parent breaking their child's heart.

And that's unforgivable.

I am somewhat like my father in a way. I didn't care enough about you to see what was going on and that's unforgivable... Right, Hoseok?