#Chapter 8: Forcing Him Back

"The injuries will heal as long as we are alive. But the scars remain..."

-Allen Walker

Raira Academy
Examination days are finished and as expected Aoi topped everything. They were given a week for break. Rai passed by Aoi writting on the sand in front of their landscape. Rai approached her. "Congratulations", Rai greeted. "No biggy. By the way, you deserve the words better than I do. You were able to beat Kushina and Rio", Aoi threw the stick she was using and faced Rai. "You cannot be so carefree. Veena-sensei has her eyes focused on you", Rai informed. "Dont worry. By the way, I will be inviting our classmates at the KTV cafe. Are you coming?", Aoi asked. "She's not coming", Veena suddenly appeared. "Then, see you around", Aoi bud farewell. "I cant still accept that she is in the top", Veena sighed. "That's just the way she is", Rai gave a slight smile. Aoi and the rest of Class 2-1 went to have a bonding.

KTV Cafe...
The students are scattered.  Aoi is in the middle of the group having a panelling from the students. Some are asking for advices and others are just listening.
"We miss this type of relaxation", Asahi stretched his arms. "Good thing you're back. Then, let's spend the rest of the night enjoying!!!", Misaki shouted. They all played and laughed together until they drained all their energy. Most of them already went home. "We'll be going as well", Hino excused themselves.

Black Spade...
Aoi entered from the back door and reached Kei's room. The guy was slacking off and just lying down the sofa. "Yuko told me the things that my gang did to you. Dont worry, I gave them a good blow", Kei informed. "Uhmm... That's not my concern today. I'm done asking you back to swimming. But...can I ask you to watch a open category swimming with me?", Aoi asked. "I'm not forcing you this time. I wanted you to volunteer yourself and repsond to my invitation", Aoi calmly said and smile.
After few days, Yuko called Aoi.

Samezuka Academy
After training....
Rin went outside the gymn and was suprised to see Aoi. "What are you doing her", Rin whispered and grabbed her at the bushes. "If someone saw you here, they'll report you", Rin looked around and saw no one. "Can I ask for a favor?", Aoi asked. Rin rubbed his nape and nodded. "Can you please join the relay with Haru and the others at one open competition on Sakura Swimming Center?", Aoi bowed. Rin sighed and sat in Indian seat. "You ask for favors but you dont explain why. How would you expect me to help you?", Rin twitched his mouth. "Honestly, I'm afraid. Even if explain things to people....", Aoi stopped for a while and looked into Rin's scarlet eyes. "There are things people cannot accept even if they understood it", Aoi quoted. Rin remained silent for a while. "Mind telling me...", Rin asked. "It's actually about Kei-san.

Flashback...
Seiso Hospital.
The blonde ran as hard as she can to reach the hospital. She entered the room and saw Kei sitting down at the bed and watching the sunset. Aoi grabbed his colar and sat at the bed. "Jerk! What do you think are you doing?!!!", Aoi scolded. "Yuko-san told me everything. You went to a gang war alone... and they saw you at the rooftop. Kei-san, how come you're ending yourself like you dont value your life!", Aoi gripped tighter. "Arent you the same?", Kei removed her grip. "Stop shouting. It's irritating my ears", Kei said in a bored tone. Aoi gritted her teeth. "Kei-san. If you continue acting like that.... I might not be able to control myself. There were people who wanted to stay alive for longer time...but they cant", Aoi put a sincere face. "Why are you so upset right now?", Kei asked as he stood up and opened the window. "Before Megumi died. She cried....she cried a lot. She wanted to live more, laugh more, and love more. And yet you are here wasting your life. Yuko-san was really worried about you. Dont you feel pity for her? She's dying in worry", Aoi clenched her fist. "Punch me if you like", Kei offered. "I saw you fight with my gang last time. That was a beautiful sight", Kei chuckled. "Its impossible that you hated the water. What happened to you during middle high will not happen again. I assure you. There is Haru and Rin", Aoi had  fire on her eyes. "If you want to have thrill in your life, come at Sakura Swimming Center on Sunday. I'll show you a sight you've never seen before", Aoi challenged.

End of Flashback...
Rin sighed and stretched his limbs. "I cant believe you can actually yell at a person", Rin slightly chuckled. "Then?", Aoi asked. "I'll join the relay. Haru, Makoto, Nitori, and Souske will be on the other team. Momo, Nagisa, Me and Kei will be in the same team", Rin distributed. Aoi stood up and bowed. "Thank you, Matsuoka-san. I will really pay you a good thanksgiving gift!", Aoi shouted. Rin dragged her low and made her sit. "No need. You already paid the price long time ago", Rin smiled. Aoi went silent for a while. "Did I said something wrong?", Rin asked. Aoi tapped her forehead and laughed.

Sakura Swimming Center.
Locker Room.
The rest of the players are changing their clothes. "Ai-chan! We'll be having a race again", Nagisa waved at him. Nitori just smiled. Souske kept complaining why he had to team up with Haru. "Why not? It'll be a good avenue to see your opponents weak points", Rin cheered him up. Souske looked at Haru and glared at him. Haru kept a poker face. They went out of the locker room. "Since relay will be the last game. I might as well join some events", Rin stretched. "Dont be over confident", Souske elbowed Rin. "Let's join some events", Makoto suggested. Aoi met them at the coridor. "Guys, I'll be looking for Kei-san. Thank you for your cooperation", Aoi bowed and ran outside. "Do you think he'll come?", Rin asked Souske. "Judging from that guy's attitude. He might not show himself", Souske answered. "That will be painful for Aoi", Nagisa butted in. "You cannot help a drowning man unless he accepts the fact that he's drowning", Makoto commented. They swam their individual relay. Makoto won the backstroke. Rin also did well with the butterfly because he forced Souske not to steal the show. Haru and Rin tied up with the free style medley. There was a 30 minute break before the relay.

Aoi ran around the center and found no Kei. She panted and wiped her sweat on her forehead. She looked at her phone and saw that it's nearly time. She sighed and looked at the sky. Her phone rang.
Rin: 30 minutes more

Aoi: yes, just hang on. I'll be looking for him.

Rin: Kizutani... I dont want to discourage you but...you've done your best. Shouldnt you-

Aoi: Please wait for a while.

Aoi ended the call. She tried to call Kei but he didnt pick up the phone. 10 more minutes. Aoi went back at the center. "And for the final medley, let's have the relay", the announcer informed. Aoi looked down at the pool area and saw that Kei is not yet there.  She went down and talked to the staff. "Can I join the relay in place of my friend?", Aoi asked. "Dont you feel inferior. We're talking about swimming against boys", the staff raised his eyebrow. "I'll manage to", Aoi smiled.

Rin's eyes widened to see Aoi in swimming suit. Even the other players were distracted. "You'll get disqualified if I dont do this" Aoi pouted. Rin faced palmed and fixed their line in front of the platform. "Will you be fine?", Makoto asked. "Dont worry. I'm a good swimmer", Aoi gave a thumbs up. The medley started. "Relay is a game where you can rely on your teammate. You are confident because you trust them", Aoi commented. Makoto and Momo started their stroke. Makoto was the first to turn followed by Nitori. Nagisa finished first and advanced with Rin vs Souske. "Let's have fun", Aoi gave a thumbs up to Haru. They both dived at the same time. Kei walked beside the pool and saw Aoi trying her best to swim. Kei's eyes widened when he saw Aoi smiling. He removed his shoes and dove at Aoi's lane when Aoi was about to turn. In the end, Haru won. Aoi went out of the water and saw Kei at the other side. He was still in the pool. "Kei-san", Aoi called out. Kei turned to face her and gave a genuine smile. Aoi had tears formed in her eyes. They gathered around the girl. "You did a great job. I cant believe you can also make such face", Rin teased. Aoi wiped her tears and put her game face on. "I was just frustrated that I lost!!!", Aoi explained. She went at the other edge and offered a hand to Kei. The guy took her hand. "I told you, there is a guy named Haru and there is also Rin who can stand in the same ground as yours", Aoi elbowed Kei. "I stopped swimming not because I hated it. I found no thrill when people no longer wants to race me. That's why I diverted my focus for me not to feel the pain. But I never though that it added pain to me. When I saw you smilling while swimming...it brought me back. How it feels...to be in the water", Kei closed his eyes. "Thanks for reminding me", Kei gave Aoi a tight hug.

Copy paste... Rin's words.
That was originally Rin's words..

Good evening

That was one long chapter

Hope you liked it.