four | pitch black

so sorry I haven't been updating as frequently as I would like :( 

Seriously wattpad > school any day but my gpa does not agree 0.o

"So, how are you kids getting along?" Adeline's high-pitched voice echoes around the large dining hall, the wooden walls and marble floors throwing the sounds of her speech back to our ears like a tantruming child. 

Alejandra, Alvarez and I all exchange looks, our eyes darting to the other's like crazed dogs. 

"Fine." I grumble, feigning fascination with my plate of food. 

"Oh, come on, Titan, what did you guys do today, with your little secret language?" 

I look up from my plate, my eyes squinting at her shiny face. 

I'm not a child, woman. 

Don't speak to me as if I'm three years old and just found out my dog went to a 'special farm in the country'.

Just leave my life alone. 

"Well, ma'am," Alvarez pipes up, throwing me a look of concern. "If we told you, it wouldn't be secret anymore, and then we'd have to create a whole different language." 

I nod at him, and he gives me a short smile. 

"How thoughtful, Alvarez. Alpha Thiago, you're raising quite the intelligent son."

I watch Alpha Thiago beam, patting his son on the back lightly with a hearty chuckle. 

My grip on my fork tightens dangerously, my grasp threatening to bend the sharp tongs. 

The golden family, so perfect. So happy. So nauseating. 

"And you as well, Titan looks so much like his father at his age." Alpha Thiago turns to me with a bright grin, and I force the corners of my mouth to turn upwards, no matter how much they fight to growl at the man. 

"He is, isn't he. Taking after me, I suppose." My father's gruff voice booms, a gravel-like chuckle escaping his thin lips. 

No, I'm not. It's not true, I'm not him. It's not true. 

"He's going to be as handsome as you, darling." Adeline's silky tone oozes towards my father, as she places a red rimmed hand on his chest, her lips turning into a sultry grin. 

Purely nauseating. 

"Hey." I look beside me at Alejandra, whose bright eyes hold concern. She places her hand over mine softly. 

I imagine what it would feel like, to turn my hand over and envelope her touch in mine. 

"Titan, what's wrong?" She whispers softly. 

Everything. 

"Nothing, I'm just tired, is all." 

The lie feels like a stream of ice water flowing from the mouth, the phrase so familiar and cold. 

She frowns slightly. She's too astute for this place. Too aware of the truth but so blind to my reality. 

She opens her mouth to speak again but a large crash echoes through the hall, the lights above us flickering slightly. 

The soft hum of speech freezes, eyes widening and breathes catching. 

All eyes turn to my father, whose composure is rigid and alert, like a hound on a scent. 

"Decimus." Adeline whispers, wrapping her long fingers around his arm. 

"Everyone, remain calm." He orders politely,  but his jaw tightens aggressively. His eyes dart around the room waiting for another sound. 

There is silence. 

The soundlessness of the moment feels suspended, as if hanging from a grand chandelier, swaying but still and eerily calm. 

"Maybe it was-" Adeline's shaky voice whispers. 

Then darkness, the lights crashing closed like some great red curtain, and the silence is pierced by a crowd of gasps and soft shrieks. 

I feel a tiny hand wrapping around mine, Alejandra. I can hear her shallow breathing, short and quick.

I allow myself to wrap my fingers around her's, the pads of my fingers brushing against her pulse, which races as if she had just run from some great danger. 

"Everyone, please, stay in this room." My father's order cuts through the darkness, and the murmurs stop, listening to his bark. "Thiago will accompany me to investigate the disturbance." 

Large footsteps echo along the marble tiles, the slamming of a door cloaking us once again in the darkness. 

"Titan." Alejandra whispers shakily, her pulse jumping. 

"It's okay, don't worry. My father will take care of it." 

Maybe he won't come back. 

Please. 

"What if this has something to do with that thing that took the rabbit?" She murmurs, and I feel her body shift closer to mine. 

I can't help but crave the warmth she gives me, the power given as she depends on me to protect her, defend her. The dream that she needs me. 

"Titan?" I look down at her, the faint outline of her form appearing in the darkness. 

"I'm here." 

"Titan, I-I'm-"

"What?"

"I'm afraid of the darkness." 

I am the darkness. 

"Alejandra, the shadows can't harm you. Darkness is only the veil. Don't fear something that can't hurt you. Shadows distract from what's hiding beneath."

She's silent, but the sounds of her heart surround me, the rhythmic beating like some ceremonial chant, beautiful and steady. 

"But how do you stop fearing those that live in the shadows?"

Sometimes you have to live with the monsters under your bed. 

Sometimes the monster is you. 

"Don't worry, I got you." I whisper, tightening my hold on her hand. 

This is a feeling I want to hold, to lock in a little glass jar and hide, pulling it out to just grasp and relive the warmth of her touch and the feeling of power that surged through your chest as she pushed herself closer, trusting you to hold her above the darkness and guide her into the light. 

I want to capture her heartbeats and merge them with mine. 

I want to dream of a lily-white house, with lily-white daydreams and a shadowless smile. 

But time is a cruel and wretched thing, as the static and hum of electricity chases away the dark and my moment disappears, forgotten and grey. 

Sighs of relief fill the hall, and I blink quickly, as if waking from a year long daydream. 

"Thank god that's over-" Alvarez begins to say, when the door of the hall crashes open and my father's furious frame appears in the golden-lit hallway. 

"Titan, a word?" His tone is anything but questioning, as his eyes practically glow crimson. 

My grasp on Alejandra's hand tightens violently, and I don't know if I'm inhaling or exhaling when I follow my father's fury out of the door. 

So sorry for the late update! 

I really hope you guys liked that chapter!

AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

I AM CONSIDERING POSTING THE "KLAUDE" SEQUEL, WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?