seven | la pesanta

"Jesus Cristo*!" Alvarez's voice echoed through the library as he slammed yet another book onto the ground. 

"Calmate*, Speedy Gonzalez." Alejandra calls back, the sound of her voice like songs. 

"How the hell am I supposed to calm down when we've been in here for hours and we still haven't found anything?"

"Alvarez, we've only been looking for an hour and a half!"

I hear a groan and a thud, looking over to see Alvarez has thrown himself on top of a pile of messy books. 

"This is hopeless." He groans, throwing his arm over his eyes.

"Do you want to figure this out or not?" Alejandra snaps and I chuckle at the sass in her voice.

"Ugh." Alvarez drags himself up from the pile of books, and he trudges over to me.

"Titan, have you found anything?" He whines, scanning the book in my hands, which seems to display an array of maps and charts. 

"No, sorry." I mutter, slamming the book closed and groaning myself. 

A rumble growls in my stomach and I clutch a hand to my stomach, a blush rising on my cheeks. 

"Ditto, Titan. Your belly has the right idea. I'm starved!" Alvarez shouts softly, causing Alejandra to come to our spot in the library.

"Are you two seriously hungry right now?!" She snaps, hands on hips. 

Alvarez and I exchange a look, and both nod enthusiastically. Alejandra just sighs, shaking her head. 

"Fine, Alvarez, go get us some food from the dining hall. Titan and I will stay here and keep searching."

"But-" 

"Alvarez Inigo Miranda, do not argue with me." She scolds, and I have to choke down a laugh at the sheepish look on Alvarez' face. 

"Fine. But don't be surprised if I eat it all on the way back." 

"Gracias *, Alvarez." Alejandra calls to him as he leaves, and he responds with a sarcastic raise of his hand. 

"So, Titan, have you found anything?" She kneels next to me again, and I see two books clasped in her hands. 

"Nope, this is all squiggly lines..." I mutter, tossing the book across the room, frustration clawing through me. My breathing begins to pick up and I bite the inside of my cheek, trying to calm myself down. 

"Titan, it's okay, come on, I think I actually did find something." She stands, and I watch as she walks away a few steps before she stops, turning back to me.

"Come on, perezoso*!" And with that, I stand to my feet, my knees cracking slightly from being stagnant for so long. I round the corner of the book shelf, and stop in my tracks. 

There are piles of books littering the floor around Alejandra, who sits, legs crossed, in the center of all the towers of books, a tiny circular space that she can call home for now. 

"How have you looked through all these books already, Alejandra?" I ask in astonishment. 

"Unlike you and Alvarez, I am actually efficient. Come, sit!" She demands softly, waving me over. I scan the small space among all the books and give her a questioning look.

"It's fine, you'll fit, don't be square." She rolls her eyes jokingly, and I gingerly step around the books and sit next to her, our shoulders brushing multiple times, causing streams of goosebumps to rise along the back of my neck.