The Funeral

After sitting in his car for minutes, he finally decided to join his estranged father at the burial site. This was Hank's first loss in his family, not including his lost marriage that had never really seemed to be found in the first place. His dad never made direct eye contact with him, he seemed to be focused on one thing. His wife of many loving years about to be one with the earth. It wasn't fair for Joseph, he loved his wife and their marriage, whereas his son had a marriage that was falling apart bit by bit every day. Joe had never met his granddaughter, and neither did his wife. She always wanted a daughter, but instead she had three sons, which of the three, Hank was the one with the only daughter in the family. It sickened Hank's father. Thus a reason the two were not on speaking terms.
Hank stood there with wandering eyes into the ground where his mother was now. Joseph made his way over to say goodbye to his wife one last time as Hank watched. No words were exchanged between the father and son, but from the living to the deceased, a sentence arose. Hank laid a hand on the granite and closed his eyes, but no one could see the tear fall because of his sunglasses. His brothers and father were all waiting in the car while he said his last goodbyes to his beloved mother. With a glance towards the vehicle, Joseph and Hank made direct eye contact, and Hank left with, "I love you mom. I'll see you later."
Hank sat down behind the steering wheel and looked to his dad in the passenger seat. "She's gone, but never forgotten." Joseph said, picking up Hanks hand. "Never forgotten," and drove away from his old life and into his new. The father and son faintly smiled towards each other and continued on.